Workspaces, roles, and permissions - everything you need to know

“Today is a big day for teams working inside Webflow” and a huge step back for all the small, normal, freelance users.

I am so incredibly pissed. Back to Wordpress I guess. And gone are my arguments to my client that Webflow was so much better than anything else out there. Do I also get a discount for gettin my credibility back?

5 Likes

$15 / month is the new difference between monthly billing of old Pro and new Growth

1 Like

Hi @NathanH I presume @Christoffer is referring to the many people on a Lite plan, who have been given no solution.

1 Like

Hi @Felix_Meens I also asked about this issue over here (link below) but got no reply as to why lite plan users are being ignored in this. Very disappointing.

1 Like

Confirmation here that Lite users are not being offered anything

1 Like

Late to the [sad] party on this, however I wanted to echo the remarks from various people here. This change seems wonderful for teams and agencies, but as a solo freelancer on the Pro plan it kills my zeal over Webflow.

As already mentioned, it kiboshes the spirit of cloning components, systems, and projects for future use; I have 30+ of unhosted sites on my account. I have no plans to set up an agency, and so the vast majority of “features” on the Growth plan actually aren’t features I want or need—but with a 40% price increase.

While I’m happy that the discount has been offered, I’m just gonna say it out loud: I would never have switched to Webflow in the first place had this Workspace pricing been in effect.

I also find it telling that you’re providing a form for current Pro plan users to fill out to receive a custom discount code—but not actually adjusting your pricing model. It suggests that you’re uninterested in new professional solo freelancers moving forward. Can you clarify if that’s your goal?

Even the language around the discount—“new collaboration features… aren’t something that many solo freelancers need today” (emphasis mine)—indicates you think that freelancers will need it in the future. As if all solo freelancers always want to start an agency. That’s obviously not the case (as you can tell from the responses above) and certainly not a goal in my career trajectory.

I am waiting to see the fine print on this discount code. If it’s a temporary thing (i.e. ‘for your first year of the Growth plan’), I’m out. :wave:

Create an actual option for solo freelancers. Let us decide if (or when) we want collaboration tools—we’ll happily pay more at that point.

If the issue is Pro users using too much storage, charge us extra if we go over 50 or 100 unhosted sites. Don’t charge us for crap we don’t need.

And fix your frickin’ site hosting plans instead (if I need 31 fields, I still have pay more than double the plan rate‽).

10 Likes

I work at an agency and I don’t like this either to be honest. Haven’t gotten the offer yet so haven’t actually tested it out, but the teams and PRO plans get more expensive and it still seems to be clunky giving a client access to the designer on his/her own site. As I understand it, you can invite the client but then you first have all the licenses to pay for in your company, and then you also have to pay for some of the developer-plans for the client AND on top of that you also have to fork out for the actual hosting of the site. It’s like a tax on tax on tax kind of system.

That said, there’s much to be liked with Webflow, but all this feels a bit greedy and will definitely not be in their favor in the long run, that’s for sure. A suggestion from us would be to not try so hard to limit everything and instead focus on simplicity, like one or two developer-oriented plans that gives you all you need to be productive including unlimited workspaces where you can invite a client from a free account so they can fiddle with their site. You already pay for dev-account and hosting. And keep the hosting plans as is but please raise the number of items drastically for the same price, this is not 2022 standards.

Workspaces would be better if they essentially worked like this: Anyone with a paid developer-account can create workspaces, and if others join someones workspace, the one who set the workspace up owns the sites that is created in there. For revenue on webflows part, when a site is hosted and paid for that way should be enough to invite a client from a free account.

8 Likes

In summary, what is deference point account plan"Lite" to workplace “core”.
・Up $16 to $19
・[before ]Team member can access Webflow editor
[after]→They can access Webflow designer
Do you have other good point ?

I’m not English speaker. Please give me easy English.
Thank you .

1 Like

@Webflow-Team This guy right here asked an important question. Give him some easy English please!

3 Likes

No other benefit. The possibility to add another team member to designer.

If you do not collaborate with another team member, you just pay more than you do now.

[That is my understanding, more than happy to be corrected]

1 Like

Where can i see the overview with full specs on what is included in each of the Workspace plans? For instance, missing info regarding the Site/Page password protection feature. Is it included in the Core plan?

1 Like

I’m confused by how much of this thread feels like we are calling into a void. Valid points are being made and real suggestions are being offered as alternatives… even if you ARE reading these and taking them into account, Webflow, the fact that it appears to us that our feedback is being dismissed as “well, nobody likes price hikes, they’ll get used to it” is actually a really disturbing thing to witness.

5 Likes

Seems like the real killer to these plans is the # of unhosted sites allowed. 90% of freelancers do not need extra seats as solopreneurs (maybe less). I don’t see how any freelancer can work with only 2 unhosted sites. They would need to be only working on one site at a time - ever- so they could have the other slot for a sandbox, cloning, etc. Advertising the starter plan as “For solo designers managing one or more sites” seems ridiculous. So by more you mean “1” more.

I don’t typically post negative comments - especially about a product I love so much, but the recent workspace and client billing changes are really unnerving. As someone else mentioned, another fear is…are we also gonna see a price hike for membership and logic functions?

I have read through all the posts and have not heard any rationale for these decisions that makes any sense beyond increasing revenue. Which is even harder to swallow after seeing this article in Forbes just 2 weeks ago: Webflow Forbes Article March 22 2022

“Webflow, now worth $4 billion”
“500% revenue growth last year”

If anyone can give me sound reasoning for these changes beyond revenue, I’d love to hear it. Blanket statements like “these changes will help us improve functionality” doesn’t sound logical. Its hard to believe that somewhere in that 500% growth in revenue there aren’t funds to increase functionality first - then increase prices for the added value. This is the other way around - kind of like forced crowdfunding from your own customers.

Really hoping someone can shine a light that it isn’t really this way with Webflow now.

6 Likes

Any news so far? Still ignoring us?

1 Like

This seems a solid analysis. Agree on the unhosted sites, not workable at all.

To my mind it’s really the beginning of a monthly fee to use a product, similar to the Adobe billing model. The difference is you’re also more tied into the ecosystem with CMS etc and the relatively premium pricing there.

When trust is shaken in these circumstances, I am concerned about signing any further clients up to the unknown, and have stopped recommending Webflow to colleagues for now at least.

Similar to you have been hoping for a clear statement which shines a positive light. Billing statement and how it was handled is the opposite of that I’m afraid.

With the subsequent statements it seems the guys don’t get this is more about trust and confidence than anything, it is a real concern.

1 Like

Please do not let this thread die.

1 Like

Let’s hope we get some answers from the upcoming Quarterly Prattle with Nelson and Vlad. If it’s anything like the one from January, then my hopes are not too high.

2 Likes

Unpopular opinion :slight_smile:

Unhosted sites for webflow == larger db, more hosting space, backups and so on. From the beginning it was a mistake to give an option to endless unhosted sites (also on WordPress more sites/space == more money on any hosting solution out there).

Sometimes the size of unhosted site could be 15gb (multiple by 10 unused versions) - 150gb of garbage!!

I don’t know what is the best solution now - but all the complains about “limit unhosted sites” missing this point (this is the reality on any software out there).

In my experience most of the unhosted sites i saw was RIP sites that’s no one will ever open again (on redesign and stuff like this).

** In my opinion webflow should limit the size not the amount of unhosted sites… because it’s useful to have some small "mini" unhosted sites (For component’s and stuff like this - without any “real” cms data). **playground concept.

4 Likes

To anyone who can help,

I recently hired a guest editor to just assist with alignment issues I have on the template I purchased. I added my Guest through the Site setting as a guest editor but he is only able to edit content. I read and have watched tutorials that I have to grant permission to allow him access to change designs such as the layout of a container or element. It states that I have to grant access, but it is still not allowing it through the editor. How can I fix this without having to give up my login information and access to my billing which contains my address? I have attached a video link and the read-only link for reference ( https://preview.webflow.com/preview/tamaras-groovy-site-d6353d?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=tamaras-groovy-site-d6353d&preview=e270fcc817eb3036065b33a29f189073&workflow=preview )

Sincerely,
Struggling with this for months now