Two issues with Webflow Custom Portfolio Tutorial

Hello,

I’ve followed the tutorial on Webflow University for building a custom portfolio to the end: https://university.webflow.com/courses/building-a-portfolio-website

I have two very strange issues that I’ve made screen recordings for. These issues happen in Chrome and Safari.

A link to the read-only link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/beldon-wolson-design?utm_source=beldon-wolson-design&preview=628d8c33ee6a86da7f5150f0ce2dc9b3&mode=preview

Issue 1: The play button to view the interaction (part 8 of the series starting at 5:48)
doesn’t work. It works for the first interaction, but the second one I have to exit the interaction and click the preview button. It works in site preview just fine. Am I doing something wrong here?
Video: Dropbox - PreviewInteraction.mp4 - Simplify your life

Issue 2: The back button (part 8 of the series starting at 5:48) disappears when I go into preview mode. Once I navigate away from the page and come back it is there, but in the tutorial, once preview is selected, it’s there. What’s happening here?
Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7a7j5x31xmfufs/ElementVanishing.mp4?dl=0

One final issue I just realized: I have to click the preview button off then on so the menu obeys the hide on load interaction. Why is that?

I’m brand new to Webflow so excuse me if i’m still a big ignorant to how it all works. I followed the tutorial throughly and can’t figure out what is causing these two irritating issues. Any information you can share would be very appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi @Beldon

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forums!

1. This is a known issue that can impact previewing interactions from the action list. This does not impact the preview mode or live site, but rather is a small glitch that only happens in the action list. You can still preview in preview mode or by pressing preview inside the interaction settings. Our team is investigating the behavior and hoping to have a fix soon.

2. It looks like you have an initial state on this back button that sets the button to display:none. Once this is removed, you will see it as expected

It also looks like your action steps have been disconnected from the correct elements — you’ll want to edit that by using the change target function.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you @Brando - I’ve been all over the forums looking at different fixes, tutorials and suggestions and I have to say that Webflow is lucky to have people like you that are so engaged working with them. I’m going to be a SquareSpace to Webflow switcher and partially it’s because of the engaged community I’m seeing.

That being said, if you or anyone else can figure out why the second issue is happening, a DIV disappearing when I click preview, that would be fantastic.

I’ll be sure to check out your suggestions for the first issue and appreciate you making me feel a little less crazy. You mentioned that there is a known bug - as a new Webflowian, where would I find things like that documented so I don’t need to waste the communities time with someone that is already known. I was unable to locate it as a question, but perhaps I was searching the wrong subject matter.

All the best,
Beldon

1 Like

Hi @Beldon

Thanks so much for the kind words :blush:

You can typically find common bugs/ issues here on the Forum, and if you don’t (like in this case) our team is happy to chime in and provide more information/context/workarounds.

Also the fix for the second issue you mentioned is that number two item mentioned in my above comment. Sorry for the lack of clarify there!

This step here in your menu entrance interaction is causing the error. It looks like the menu is being hidden and scaled down in the initial state but isn’t set back to be visible as this is a click interaction. Here’s a GIF showing the steps to fix:

And here’s how you can reconnect your interactions:

Hope this helps :smiley:

@Brando - Thanks so much - I guess I need to brush up on my reading comprehension skills – haha! You did answer this question. Sorry for this late reply, took a few days off to be with the family. Hope you had a nice 4th and are enjoying the summer.

I really appreciate the help and I’m sure you’ll hear from me again in the future.

Best,
Beldon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.