Tutorial: Migrating Hosting from Wix to Webflow

thank you for your assistance. I tried doing this, but I am receiving an error.

There is a page in the Webflow University that I recommend you review if you haven’t.
It should help you resolve your issue.

Connect a custom domain | Webflow University

Glossary Term: DNS records | Webflow Help

If you are still stuck, let us know.

Hi, I was just building my first Webflow website and I finally reached the going lie stage!

Thanks for this step-by-step description. Everything seems very clear. I just have a question.
I just know that transferring the domain to another also requires DNS setting changes. I noticed that on Wix.com I have email MX records, too. We are using G-Suite, but I have the records.
Do you know also what should I do here?

I am just afraid now that when I transfer my website from wix.com to webflow the email will stop working for 5 people.

Any tips on that?

Depends on the new registrar you will be using! Seeing as you are using G-Suite, Google Domains would be the easiest, once start the transfer you will have the option to let Google Domains automatically update all records or do it manually. Choosing the automatic option will update all your MX records and should work without any issues (haven’t had any when I’ve done this in the past).

If you use any other registrar you will just have to add/update the MX records yourself.

Either way expect for your email service to possibly go down for a few hours so always a good idea to do this during a time when you dont have a lot of critical business to do.

Thank you so much Noel, I think I will have to do it manually. Our hosting provider is cheap and old :smiley: https://kas.all-inkl.com/

So, in this case, I just create all those MX records in the domain and everything should be working hopefully!! Thanks, so so much for a very fast answer :slight_smile:

Something you all should be aware of that wasnt noted here yet, migrating from Wix LOCKS your domain for the next 60 days. so if you transfer to google, from what I understand, you wont be able to jump it to Webflow until the 60 days is up. My suggestion is try to import directly to webflow if that is your certain plan. its locked for 60 days once you move it from wix to a 2nd host, so choose wisely?

Disclosure from Wix when I followed the above steps
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 10.48.48 AM

@Chloe_Magee - Zone transfers and DNS record changes are completely different things. Once your zone is transferred you will be able to make all the DNS changes you need. You just can’t transfer it again for 60 days and I can’t see why anyone would in that short timeline. As a registrar none of my customers have ever made that request.

Webflow is not a domain registrar, which means you can’t directly transfer your domain from Wix to Webflow. Instead, you’ll need to transfer your domain to a domain registrar such as Google Domains, and then use the Google Domains DNS settings to connect your domain to your Webflow site.

Here are the steps to transfer your domain from Wix to Google Domains:

1. Make sure your domain is unlocked and that you have the Authorization Code (also known as the EPP code) from Wix.
  2. Log in to your Google Domains account or create a new account if you don’t have one.
  3. In Google Domains, click the “Transfer” button and enter your domain name.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transfer process, which may include providing additional information to Google Domains and confirming the transfer via email.
  5. Once the transfer is complete, log in to your Webflow account and go to the “Domains” section.
  6. Click the “Add a custom domain” button and enter your domain name.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect your domain to your Webflow site, including setting up the necessary DNS records in Google Domains.