Site Transfer Issues - Angry Clients!

wow, webflow common Ive been such a fan

any updates when this is going to be fixed? this is massive!

@Samuel_Jaramillo -

They aren’t going back so you have to deal with this operationally.

What does operationally mean?

@Samuel_Jaramillo - I meant however you wish to solve the problem within your organization or personally. Since Webflow will not bill for you, you need to move clients to their accounts where they can pay themselves. I chose another option; I moved a bunch of accounts off Webflow.

1 Like

Any update on this topic?

Hey Guys, Is there any update on this. I have 4 sites to go online and I can’t transfer them to other accounts. Can’t really copy them since it’s too much going on. This is seriously ridiculous and Webflow team should understand a fact like this before they initiate this.

I’m not one to question on the forum, but this time it’s necessary.

I’m completely frustrated with WebFlow.

I have the same problem in two projects. I contacted support and they simply replied that they are moving accounts to the new Workspace and that until the conclusion it will not be possible to use the project transfer. The main problem is that it doesn’t have a deadline to complete and by the time from the first questioning, it will take time.

This is absurd! How to make a change that affects the usability of the tool, especially for months of migration and without a set end date!

The community needs a solution and for yesterday!

2 Likes

This ABSOLUTELY needs a solution, and ASAP. How can we conduct business if we can’t transfer our sites?

Absolutely wild what Webflow has come to…

Squeezing every penny out of their customers, not catering to their needs and now I cannot even transfer the site I’ve worked a year on to my customer?

Hugely disappointed…

P.S: I totally forgot about you guys killing Stacket aswell, the only thing that would have helped me now…

Hey Hendrik, I’m curious what the issue is here.

As I understand it, transferring sites is only an issue between old accounts and new Workspace accounts, so I’d imagine that either your account has not been converted yet, or your client’s hasn’t. Is that right?

If that’s the case, that seems legit to me. More advance warning would have been nice, sure, so we could have more time to plan for migration needs during the transition- but I would personally rather not be spending money to have the Webflow team develop throwaway features like “transitional migration systems.”

That’s a waste. There are too many other important things need attention.

Am I missing something?

I don’t know what exactly the problem is. I was able to send my customer some interim-version of the website a few months ago, but today when we finally wanted to do the transfer to his account (so he can pay the site plan and we can connect to custom domain), I got this error that I cannot transfer the site and had to cancel the appointment with him.

Haven’t heard back from support yet and the customer is hugely disappointed after I already had to announce to him that the price will rise, and we cannot use Stacket anymore for mobile optimization (async or deferred loading), because webflow killed that service.

Also if this thread is 5 months old, how can a transition take 5 months and there is still no solution for this problem?

How am I supposed to give this website to my client now?

Are you both running on Workspace? If so, transfers should be straightforward. I’m guessing you cloned your project a few weeks ago so that you could transfer a copy of it, while keeping your main work?

If that’s right, my first guess is that they’re on the free 1-project plan, and that old project is “in the way”, so there is no capacity on their account for new projects.

They could just delete it, or upgrade temporarily, depending on what it is you’re trying to do. Or, they’re on the free plan, but your transferred project has custom code / HTML Embeds in it, which their free plan doesn’t support.

I’m totally guessing here, but those are the things I’d try. The error messages could be better, eh?

That said, Webflow support has been fantastic, usually 12 hours response maximum, and they always fix the issue. Good team, just massively overwhelmed.

Growing pains, I guess.

I have the “Freelancer Workspace” while they’re on the free plan. The one project is deleted, but I still cannot transfer them a copy of the site over…

So I guess, it must be the custom code and html embeds then. I haven’t heard back from support in 24 hours now and the client is losing patience, because he already paid a SEO team to optimize the site and they need access asap. So I now have to tell him, he also needs to pay an additional 16$ per months on top of the hosting, just because of the html embeds and finsweet code (so that webflow ACTUALLY works)?

This is what I mean with webflow just squeezing out every penny, while keeping their product just barely alive and for full usability relying on 3rd party like finsweet :smiley:

Sounds like it.

That’s unusual, I find Webflow support to be quite good at responding and resolving problems quickly, usually within 12 hours. I dislike the new submit-a-request process, because the categorization questions never relate to my needs- but overall the experience is easily 100x better than e.g. Google support. Good luck even finding the form there. Big company problems.

Yes, but that was always the case with workspaces. Personally I dislike the “no custom code” restriction on the free account, and find that a bit abusive. But I also understand Webflow is trying to find a line between the free-plan-for-learning-and-trying-the-product, v. actual professional use. You’re using it professionally to build a site, so of course it makes sense to pay for that service.

The intended way to do it is host it under your own account, and bill your client for that hosting as an ongoing relationship. With the elimination of client billing, there’s no more “build-and-forget.” If you want that, Webflow’s probably not the right platform for you, but then that’s not really a practical business model for freelancers anyway.

Okay, I’ve got to backtrack a little bit here :confused:

The Support has answered me pretty much after I’ve sent the reply before this one. Haha!
It looks like my clients’ account was created before the initial migration to workspaces started and it’s now all settled. I could transfer the site, even though he had a starter workspace and not any paid account plan (and I’m using custom code and html embeds).

So that is atleast a very good thing and we can go live on monday. Pretty exciting, as this is basically my first real project (I’m still scared that some stuff won’t work as intended or potential visitors might get some user experience problems, but I hope it’ll be okay).

By the way, regarding the phasing out of client billing. What would you recommend for best process instead?

Congrats!

I went with Bonsai, because of the 1 year free plan. Much cheaper than e.g. Xero. But I understand it won’t work well for some European countries due to tax issues. A lot of teething problems getting it setup, but it seems to be working now for my 50 clients. I need to audit it again soon and make sure everything is processing ok. Any billing platform with recurring CC ability would work for you, or charge your clients annually and just invoice them direct.