Plans - confused!

very confused about the different plans.
I purchases a “lite Account” @ 16 p/month. Built my website…all is great
I own my own URL and have free hosting with my old website but I can’t use it? I need to buy an additional plan? Or do I need to upgrade?
I will be creating additional sites in the future.

Webflow has been great to answer my questions - but I’m still confused because I can’t actually speak to anyone directly.

Lee

1 Like

Hi Lee,

I know the hosting/account plans can seem a bit confusing at first.

On the Lite, Professional, and Team plans, you can export your website and host it anywhere you’d like. However, CMS Collections cannot be exported and forms (including site search) will stop working.

Here’s a link to an article on how to manage site plans

Hope this helps.

I am currently using Adobe Muse within a small web design agency based in Australia. I am looking at alternatives to Muse and have just gone through the crash course 101 of Web Flow and it looks like it could be the answer I have been looking for.

My question has to do with the CMS system as well, regardless of the plan I purchase with Web Flow, is there no way that forms and CMS are able to work without changing hosting over to Web Flow?

Unfortunately this is a major deal breaker if thats the case, as not only for the purposes of SEO would everything reset to zero days age, it would require me to transfer all of the sites over to Web Flow along with all of the headaches of doing this for 50 plus accounts.

Is there a plan that simply allows me to export to my own web host and have all functions work?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @MarkR,
You can export the code generated by Webflow to host this on your own site, this export will generate static files of your design, therefore you will have to make adjustments to the web form to make it functional again. More info on the export can be found here: Code export | Webflow University.

BUT you can only use Webflow’s CMS when you host with Webflow, it’s an integrated product. I’m actually very happy with this approach, since I don’t have to worry about updates, servers, CDN, etc… But of course it’s up to your web design agency which services you want to provide to your clients, you can also opt for a solution that you use Webflow to create the designs and export all files and setup your own Wordpress site.

Migration is always a headache, I don’t believe there is a magic button yet to solve this. Would be fantastic though.

For new users this is big Disadvantage - i really don’t know why the pricing is so complicated. Webflow should add more docs and examples about this topic.

The main - most basic Q missing is - “what the diff between Site plans & Account”.

10 Likes

does each site I create need its own site plan? is my first (BIG) question. I currently have ONE site but plan to make another.

I currently have an account plan but I think I need a site plan - everything is working great but I can’t attach the URL I own correct?
I Honestly don’t understand the difference between Site and Account plans.

Lee

3 Likes

Hey @Lee_Hanrahan @MarkR

• Account Plans are for you the individual :man_technologist::woman_technologist: or team using Webflow.
    – The paid plans unlock feature only for you the user
  • Hosting Plans are for each website hosted :globe_with_meridians: on Webflow’s servers.
    – Adding hosting allows websites or “projects” to be hosted on Webflow servers, add custom domains, and add site features depending on the plan .

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

This is really frustrating. I do not have the option to buy basic site plan!!!
It’s greyed out!

@Alborz_Heydaryan With this kind of issue, it’s better to open a new topic since it’s not quite the same as the original topic.
That said, have you got CMS content on your website? This would be why that option isn’t available.

Just going to chime in as a confused customer myself. What I would like to know is what happens to my website/project under my current plan (Business) if I upgrade to a Team plan? I get the sense that my current site and CMS/collections will not migrate over instantly when/if I do.

Admittedly, I have not scoured through enough of these articles here in the forum to find the answer. Feels like this should be an easier item/topic to find when it comes to making an upgrade decision.

Thanks to all who answer

@Headset website plans are separate from account plans. You could have basic, cms and e-commerce plans all under one account. As far as I know, the team plan wouldn’t change anything to your website plan. The only difference is that the team plan allows you to remove all webflow references from your websites, ‘whitelabeling’.

Hey @sarahfrison thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

I just got a response from your support team around this process. I will post it below for any other Webflow users that might be searching for this information.

"Thank you for contacting us about the transfer, I’m happy to clarify!

As you noted, the individual and team accounts are separate and have separate dashboards to manage the projects too.

At this time that does mean cancelling the hosting on a site which needs transferring to a team, however if the domains on the current site are already connected, we can keep downtime to a minute or less when transferring to the team.

Here’s the process step-by-step:

1. Create the Team Plan

2. Duplicate the original site, so you have a backup, just in case!

3. Cancel hosting on the original site, and transfer the site over to your Team

4. Add a new hosting plan, and add the URLs to the project, then publish. If the domains were already connected, this should be almost instant, as the DNS doesn’t need to propagate like the first time you connected the domains.

5. Let us know the site name, and we can either provide account credit onto the team plan, or a refund for unused time on the old hosting plan.

Notes:
Your site and all CMS items etc stays intact when hosting is cancelled. Technically all that happens is the pages and items are locked whilst without hosting, and then become editable once more when hosting is added again.

You will need to keep a record of 301 redirects, and also editors, as these do need re-adding when the site is in it’s new home.

We are making some big strides on more flexible collaboration features, as we know this kind of workflow is not a premium experience! So whilst this move involves some additional steps, future changes should become easier!

I hope this helps, but definitely let us know if you have any questions.

My Best,
Stu"

This feels like a lot overhead just to add another designer to help work on my company website. I am going to hold off on the Team Plan upgrade until a more seamless process comes along…fingers crossed here…

1 Like

ah, okay, I didn’t realize that. Glad to hear the webflow support team was able to clarify this for you :slight_smile:

Hi,

I just did exactly the same as Lee. I purchased a “lite Account” one year subscription. I also own my own URL and I want to add it but it isn’t possible. Did I do wrong in upgrading Account plan and not Host plan?

To me as a new Webflow user the is extremely confusing. I have a simple personal website with around 10 pages and a have a domain I want to connect it to. I don’t want to export any code. I just want it up and running and connected to my domain.

Do I need to upgrade the account plan and the hosting plan?

Regards,
John

1 Like

This thread has a lot of very helpful information, but there is still one thing that’s not clear to me.
If someone has the Free Account, can he still purchase CMS Hosting and connect a website to his custom domain?

Hello @fredericG,

if you have the free account you get to have 2 projects with 2 pages per project. If you add a site plan to any of your projects (hosting) you can add more pages. So to answer your question, yes you can have a free account and still purchase CMS hosting and add your custom domain.
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 12.14.12 PM
I hope this clarifies your question.

3 Likes

It does! Thank you so much :smiley:

1 Like

I am in the same situation as you. Very confused!

LOL, I bought a lite hosting plan + a CMS Plan. In my mind, with those two plans i will be able to build and host 10projects, turns out i have to buy an additional hosting plan for each project which make the hosting costs +5 times what i would pay elsewhere. It’s just very confusing.
I have no problem with the account plans but the hosting plans are too expensive and confusing, not for me.

While I agree their pricing isn’t easy to digest, nearly every SaaS platforms operate with each site requiring it’s own hosting cost so this shouldn’t be a huge surprise. The benefit of going this route over just paying for server space and domains is that you’re no longer required to manage the back-end infrastructure which can be time consuming and requires more advanced knowledge - not to mention Webflow site hosting is crazy fast.

If you’re not wanting to export sites and plan on working on no more than two sites at a time (before launching) then you can cancel your Lite Account plan and just go with the Free Account plan instead.