How to have unique meta data for CMS collection items?

Hi

I have twice posted what is basically the same question, as I am don’t appear to be getting the answer I am looking for, or more likely I do not understand the answer I have been given :slight_smile:

Is there any way of boosting a forum question? As both questions have been answered, but I follow up with clarification question and no one comes back!!

Normally on forums, I am getting inundated with responses, but not on Webflow.

Have I asked my questions in the wrong place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi @rob1968 I presume that your disappointment is related to your question about META data. I have read all responses and found them very clear to help you with your request.

I will try explain it in detail again but I will also add one small detail as your META request is related to SEO.

go to your collection and add text field

go to Collection and add data (text ) info META field

Now is time to add these META data to SEO

hope that clear all your questions how to add META data to SEO.

I can only recommend to watch all videos on Webflow University where you will get all basic information how to work with this platform.

here is one introduction example to WF SEO

7 Likes

Hi

THanks for the response, I will shall work through your screenshots. My disappointment wasn’t at the level of clarity, it was at the level of response once I questions where the ‘Add Fields’ was.

So I thank you for the step by step.

I will go thorugh later today and update you.

Sorry but I must be missing something. I have followed your step by step process, and I cannot see how you got ‘Meta Description’ and ‘’ just by entering META in the collection template?

What am I missing?

So here is what I did

1. on Collcection templatw I added ‘META’ as a text field. See here: screencast .com /t/AtMRQnCYEp So I think that covers you step 1 thru 3

2. I go to a specific collections page, see here: screencast.com /t/iPUShJfBGi9N and enter my META Description - I do not see any field.

3. I am not sure I understand points 6 - where do I find this?

I am more than happy to use videos on WebFlow University, but I cannot find a video specific to my requirements, maybe i have missing this?

please provide the URL and I will work through that.

The link to the video you provide shows how to set up templated generic META Description and title tags for all collection pages, but this is not what I am looking for.

I have that already. See here: screencast .com /t/9rgKV4B1oiR4

What I am looking for is Specific META Descriptions for each page within the collection, so these pages: screencast .com /t/KVefir9wql3

Sorry I had to break up my screen shots to allow me to post!

HI @rob1968 every page you hover show settings cogwheel , click on this UI element will open page settings.

CleanShot 2021-03-29 at 11.06.30

I’m sorry but these are very basic things and I strongly recommend go to Webflow University to take all lessons and learn how to work with this platform.

PS: I didn’t manually search to find your screencast links, the best practice when you sharing video link is just copy/paste URL to be accessible on click or drag and drop if you share an image.

1 Like

“What I am looking for is Specific META Descriptions for each page within the collection”

Here is template for all pages in collection so if you add META on this page each post will have its unique meta description.

hi Stan,

Sorry I was unaware of the drag and drop feature I have used that now to explain what I am looking for and why I cannot see what you say is there.

They maybe basic settings, but I am not trying to set up META Descriptions for a page, but for a specific collection page.

And then in the ‘Collections Templage’ page i do see a cog, this is where I add ‘META’ as per your instructions

see here

As I mentioned, this did NOT insert META Decription or tag into my actuall collections pages.

And if go into the service template page, I already have META Descriptions, and title tags, but these are ‘generic’ for all service pages.

See here:

i think this is your screenshot of the same place,

This is not what I want. as I want specific META and per collection/service page.

So maybe I am getting confused, maybe I just don’t understand, but I cannot see how your solution give each of my ‘Service/Collection’ pages its own META descriptions and

Yes i can see how I can set up generic ones for each, but that is not what i want.

In short, I want to edit each collection page and enter specific META and titles… not rely on a automatic/template system controlled from with the overall service template.

see I want to enter here:

the meta aand title for that page, not rely on the template automated system provided in the service templates.

thanks

rob

HI @rob1968 I really do not understand what you’r trying to achieve and what you have in your mind when you talk about meta data. If you will add custom field META, fill up text (in each post) then you can use it as meta description.

This description will be unique to each post. If you will set meta for standard page this meta will be shown for this specific page. I’m sorry but I am not able to help you further as I told you everything I know.

Here is video for SEO META on Webflow University just in case you have missed it.

Good luck. :wink:

Hi

Ok that is what I am trying to achieve.

So each of these pages/collection pages have there own META description and

See here I have added to the services template

And now this is a specific collection page, the ‘health and wellness’ page

see here:

and here within the page is the META Description and Title fields I added

And then on front end the META Description and title is not displaying the content I added

See here

This is what I am gettting wrong, about the Webflow system, but i cannot see what I have done wrong, as no matter what I do the META Description and TITLE remains as is here

see here

This controls what is inserted on specific collection pages, like the example i have given.

How do I stop this template from generating the META Description and title for my collection pages? As I want specific control not a template/global format control

Does this make it clearer as to what i would like?

Please include your site’s Read-Only Share Link with your question.
A read-only link allows the community to view your project without making any edits to it and help diagnose your issue or provide feedback.

If your project has custom code or layout issues on the published site, please share that URL/URI as well.

https://discourse.webflow.com/t/how-to-enable-a-webflow-share-link/2573r

1 Like

Hi

I have asked before about settting individual ‘META Descriptions’ and for collection pages, but I don’t seem to be able to get an answer.

I have set the ‘general template’ for each collection, what we call service page, but I cannot find out have to add specific META Descriptions and tags to each collection/service page.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Hi @rob1968,

You can create a field named SEO Description for example and another one for the Title Tag.

You then need to go in your collection page settings and use the “add field” button to tie up fields you’ve created.

hi

unfortunately i cannot post what i see but I do not see any of that in my Webflow

I see in the ‘services/collection template’ both Title and META Description, but this is the control for all service/collection pages.

Then in the actual service/collection pages I see no SEO fields at all

So no sure how to show you what I see in WebFlow

although forum rules say I can post read noly links, so I will try again

this is the collection page Image-2021-03-25-at-6.02.00-PM and this is the Service template page: Image-2021-03-25-at-6.05.07-PM - here I can see the settings for all services page.

But what I want is to work out where I can add the specific services page SEO META descriptions and title tags?

many thanks

CAn anyone help? PLease?

Please include your site’s Read-Only Share Link with your question.
A read-only link allows the community to view your project without making any edits to it and help diagnose your issue or provide feedback.

If your project has custom code or layout issues on the published site, please share that URL/URI as well.

https://www.loom.com/share/afba121a09ae459a9674637eac38f98e

1 Like

Excellent effort @stan to explain with a video. Solution of the day!

1 Like