E-commerce - Selling access to content on the site

Hi there,

I am looking to try find a solution to produce a website that allows for users to have an account to buy content on the site. The content could be a single video, a series of videos, audio, documents etc.

I’ve looked at the various e-commerce options that exist such as Shopify and I’m not quite sure if they can easily accommodate.

I don’t want to give users download access to the content, just viewing/streaming access.

If you have any suggestions on where to look for something like this it would be very appreciated!

Thanks
Josh

At the moment you can’t have that natively in Webflow, but you can integrate platforms like @foxy to do that.

I’m currently working on 3 projects like that but I don’t have anything sharable just yet, when I do I’ll post it here.

Another platform worth looking at is https://plasso.com. Let me know if that helps.

1 Like

@aaronocampo Thank you for the mention!

@josh921 Please let us know if we can help with anything at all. Webflow | Foxy.io

1 Like

Thanks Aaron,

I had had a look at @foxy and others, and as someone who isn’t a developer (I can usually just about work my way around pre-existing work to tweak something I need) it seemed pretty complicated to use one of these services for digital content that’s for viewing only (not download).

Interested to hear how you get on though! Time for more digging.

Thanks guys! Do you have any documentation on where to start in terms of allowing access to certain content on the site after purchase? Please bear in mind the content is for streaming only, not downloading.

Hello @josh921

I’m currently working on a project like that but I don’t have it ready to share, when I do I can post it here.

I have to say that it could look very complicated but it’s not, plus @foxy guys are always willing to help and very understanding. I’m not a coder either and I understand where you’re coming from completely.

My 2 cents here would be give it a try, you don’t have anything to lose and a lot to gain.

1 Like

+1 here for Foxy too - if I understand right, they initially started out providing solutions for developers - hence some of what look like complicated interfaces/wording. They have in recent years though seen a big increase in designers who don’t code wanting to use their services - in particular from Webflow. I know they have some interface updates planned, but believe me and @aaronocampo they will guide you through it all - nothing is too much trouble :slight_smile:

In terms of allowing/restricting access, that’s not native in either Webflow or Foxy, but Josh from @foxy may be able to point you to solutions he has seen others use? Also I think @micahryanhtml may have some experience with online course access systems?

Finally @MackenzieChild might be able to help you with www.podia.com - not something i’ve tried, but could fit the bill…

2 Likes

Amazing, thanks a bunch, I’ll definitely give it a shot! This community seems great!

1 Like

Hey @josh921,

Definitely a great question!

I’ve been having success with Knack.com where I can create any type of database structure - including course sites.

The way it works is as follows:

1. Set up a database structure that allows for account logins (i.e. user logins Online Database Application Designs)
  2. Add your content behind paywalls (Online Database E-Commercs)
  3. Then, you can add any additional features you like such as live data, instant insights, etc.

Lastly, Knack has plans starting at $39/mo for 3 web apps and 2 GB worth of storage (Online Database Pricing)

Definitely feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

I’m in the process of creating a course myself on how easy it is to add a database to Webflow sites utilizing Knack. :nerd_face:

Hopefully this helps :blush:

3 Likes

Looooking forward to this!

Thanks for chipping in @micahryanhtml :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey thanks for the tag @StuM :slight_smile:

@josh921 You can definitely do all the things you’re looking to do with Podia. Podia allows you to setup a storefront to sell online courses, digital downloads as well as memberships.

What I do is I have my personal site built with Webflow and I link to / sell my products on Podia. That way I don’t have to worry about any user account management, payments, or any dev related things.

If you have any questions about Podia I’m happy to answer them for you.

1 Like

@StuM and @aaronocampo Thank you for recommending us and for the kind words!

@josh921 I think it’s already been mentioned, but Foxy relies on whatever platform you’re integrating with (ie: Webflow) to have members/users functionality you can tie into. Unfortunately, that’s not possible yet with Webflow.

That said, there are some creative workarounds you can do with an auto drip campaign with a service like MailChimp and subscriptions via Foxy. Let us know if this is something that sounds workable and we can send more info. Or fee free to send more details on your specific needs and we can help you navigate things.

Thanks,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.