Alternative to transferring account access to freelancer

I’m trying to get a freelancer to help us create a few sliders for our website which will be connected to our CMS collection. Unfortunately, my company is not comfortable giving the freelancer account or Team access so I’m trying to figure out a workaround. Getting them to create a cloneable slider is one option, but it will potentially create a lot more work for us to connect it to our CMS collection.

I had an idea, but just wanted to see if it makes sense (I’m fairly new to Webflow).
Here goes: We duplicate our website, transfer it to our freelancer where they create the sliders for us using our (duplicated) CMS collection, transfer it back to us where we can more easily integrate it into our website/collections.

I’d really appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!

Hey Adrienne, this is unfortunately a shortfall in Webflow currently. They are releasing more advanced permissions soon, which you can read about here (it’s at the bottom of the article).

One thing you can do in the meantime is to make sure you protect your projects from being deleted by team members. You can do this in the Permissions tab in your team settings. See below:

You can also duplicate the project as you mentioned. Overall, adding them to your team or project is safer than giving your password/access via your account.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.
In addition to potentially deleting the website, my boss is concerned that given access, a freelancer could potentially do harm without our knowledge like planting some code/bug, accessing our customer data, changing our ecommerce settings, etc. Is this total paranoia, or does giving access to our site open up a ton of vulnerabilities? If this is the only option, I want to be able to give my boss a reason why it’s not a reckless one.

It’s not paranoia. But there are a few ways around this:

• Make sure you’re hiring a reputable designer
  • Have them sign a contract holding them accountable for any changes outside of the agreed scope
  • You can restore backups within certain limitations (eg. deleted CMS items are not restorable)
1 Like

Thanks so much for this, Joe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.