When I'm moving objects or adding objects to the canvas, Webflow freezes and I have to reload the page

When I’m moving objects or adding objects to the canvas, Webflow freezes and I have to reload the page

Hi @Diarmuid_Sexton Thank you for taking the time to report this, it definitely seems like odd behavior.

To help us locate and reproduce the issue on our end faster, we would appreciate if you can provide additional details:

• Which date did you first notice the issue?

• Please describe the steps taken leading up to the issue occuring

• Upload screenshots/screencast videos displaying the issue

• Please share your project’s Read-Only link AND live site’s Published link:

• The read-only link is a special url generated in the Dashboard to allow others to view your project in the Webflow Designer. How to get your project’s read-only link?

• The published link is the webflow.io subdomain where you can view the live site with any custom code running. It is important to share this link, as custom code does not run in the Designer.

• Please also let us know what browser version you’re using by visiting whatismybrowser.com and copying the share link here:

Can you also please try the following:

1. Try to see if the issue happens while being logged into Webflow using your browser’s Incognito Mode/Private Browsing with all plugins/extensions turned off, so that we can rule out a third-party conflict.

How to start Incognito Mode/Private Browsing:

2. If the issue still persists, open the browser’s developer console on the page where the issue occurs, take a screenshot, and upload it here as well.

How to open the console:

Thanks in advance!

I’m not sure what caused it. I can’t reproduce it exactly but if I figure out, I’ll let you know. But it was when I was adding / moving an element either from the add elements panel or in the navigator panel

Same issue here. Had to refresh the designer 3 times now.

EDIT: Happening each time more frequently. Each time I try to add a new element the designer freezes.

Thank you so much for the additional information @Diarmuid_Sexton @nita_design I’m looking into this with the team and will keep you update as soon as I have more information. :bowing_man:

1 Like

Webflow Design is running extremely slow today.
And this is after a restart… which was caused by the Designer not responding.
Not project based. Does it with every project.

I know you probably tried this but, have you tried using other browsers to see if this is a browser based issue?

I sense the team is updating the designer by trying out some of the much anticipated updates. Fingers crossed!

System is locking up again. Started about midnight EST 9/2/2016.

1st report - macbook pro
2nd report - samsung chromebook pro

Chrome on both browsers.
Will try incognito.

UPDATE: crashes in Incognito Mode also.

11:00 am Saturday

This is now happening on a:

• Windows 10 i7 desktop / 64GB
  • Windows 10 Surface Pro i7 / 256GB
  • MacBook Pro 15 i7 / 16GB
  • MacMini i7 / 16GB
  • Samsung Chromebook Pro 4GB
  • Asus Chromebox 4GB

all with full system updates
all with latest versions of Chrome
in regular mode and incognito mode.

This issue becoming a pain in the ass.

At this point I am literally restarting Webflow 4 to 5 times an hour hour.

It’s every project. Every computer Mac / Windows / Chromebook / Chromebox.

The only similarity is Chrome.

@cyberdave @callmevlad @Waldo @thesergie @PixelGeek

Update:

It seems… the actions you perform during the lock-up period
(in most cases) are being performed. The system just doesn’t respond.

So for example:

While working on a website… you open the Add panel and click on Heading.
Nothing happens (1).
You click again (2)… and ten 10 more times (total 12 times)… with nothing visually happening.
You click on any option in Webflow - and nothing happens.
Close the Webflow tab.
Log back in and open your project.

And chances are very good that you will see 12 Heading (see above) tags.

So the back end is responding. It appears to be the application running on the client-side browser.

@Revolution I went ahead and moved this to the bug category. Having some trouble reproducing any latency in the Designer. I’m trying to reproduce the behavior you’re describing but haven’t been able to yet.

What activities are you trying to complete when the latency occurs in existing sites?

Dragging items around on the canvas? Adding new elements? (only headings specifically?)

Working with collections or the data manager?

Uploading elements? Just to confirm, this is without any browser extensions running (even in incognito mode)?

Could you send a screen recording showing the latency please using something like CloudApp? Please include the browser window without any extensions running.

Thanks so much @Revolution @Diarmuid_Sexton @nita_design @Sam_G @DigtalCrusader for the detailed reports, we’ve found the error and we’re looking into a fix. I’ll post an update here as soon as I have more information. ​Thank you so much for your patience and understanding as we work towards a resolution.

1 Like

Please, please give priority to this issue. It is impossible to do any work like this :frowning:

I agree. I’ve restarted Webflow several this morning.
Getting to be a very irritating, frustrating issue.
Especially when I’m paying $900 a year for this.

@waldo - concerning the the video in your reply…

when the issue occurs… you know immediately because

• “nothing happens”.

In your video… you add a heading, then another heading… and another, etc.

When the problem occurs

• the first heading is never displayed.

So instead of seeing the first heading

• then trying to create the issue by adding 2nd heading
  • is not the way to recognize the issue.

When you add the first heading

• if it doesn’t display
  • the problem has already started.

Also - the issue I’m describing is not cause by dragging / repositioning

• the entire interface just freezes.

I’ve seen the drag / reposition issues as well…

• this is a different issue from what I can see so far.

@nita_design @Revolution please know what we’re actively working on a fix. I’ll post an update as soon as the issue is resolved. :bowing_man:

Thanks so much for your patience @Revolution @Diarmuid_Sexton @nita_design @Sam_G @DigtalCrusader!

We just shipped a fix for the issue!

Could you please refresh the Designer and let me know if everything is working as expected again? :bowing_man:

Thanks in advance for your confirmation!

So far, so good. :ok_hand:

1 Like

One of the changes I’ve noticed…

In Preview Mode… there is a slight delay when switching between Device Types.

I don’t think this was happening before the last patch.

So… In Preview Mode… if you are viewing the site on Mobile Portrait
and you select the Desktop Mode (or any of them)…
the screen will shift and hesitate then eventually switch into the selected Mode.

Not really an issue. Was just something “different” that I noticed.

Other than that… so far no issues.

I am experiencing this exact issue - starts a bit sluggish ends up frozen within a few seconds. Happen with incognito as well.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/w/ZQ4TXM9