User login and registration functionality update?

I like to think of the wish list as like the LEGO ideas community. In that community, you can submit an idea for the next LEGO set that LEGO should build and sell. If your idea gets 10,000 votes then it will be passed along to the LEGO staff for review.

After review, they reveal which sets will become a reality and which didn’t make the cut and they explain why.

There are a lot of things that need to be considered before agreeing or disagreeing to work on a wish list item. While I personally wish for a lot of the wish list items to be launched soon, I think many people prefer to have a stable design product instead of something that is rushed.

Also, if an item that you submitted or voted for doesn’t make it to the product now, it doesn’t mean it will not be considered to be added in the future.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I built this site http://www.premierrrg.com/ in Webflow and exported it to the excellent backendless.com. They provide hosting and you can set permissions on folders for logged in users. It will require some development skills to get up and running, but if you are decent with javascript, you can have a user member site running in an hour or two after exporting from Webflow.

They also have a free tier that is fine for low-traffic sites.

2 Likes

Nice analogy Nelson, but there is a few things here. First some of the
stuff on a wishlist is more like “hey there is a missing roof or door for
this Lego house”…in different words it’s not us asking for new special
features (for example ix2 great we have it but e-commerce would be way more
valuable - what good is product nicely sliding in an scroll into view if
visitor can’t purchase that product?), But rather fundamental blocks of any
modern website. Webflow is great for small static websites with little
content, but anything past that point is problematic - larg blog or IMG
gallery? - no pagination. Selling product? - no e-commerce. Offering
services? - no user login or paid wall. Building community? - no chat or
comments. So really the primary used case is a flashy business card like
website… Second based on the size of the active community and overall all
number of votes it seems the threshold should be a 1000 votes. And again
there’s a handful of core components (let’s not call them features) that
are past that threshold for very long time and webflow keeps avoiding
(responding with why yes/no) them. Which is by far the most frustrating
think about webflow… I’m rooting for webflow to succeed in a long run
and that’s why I’m so… anyway hope you guys take it the right way.
Missing features are not problem, avoiding communication about them is…

3 Likes

Yes, I agree @FilipSipos. But this issue, in my view, should be nothing to do with the wishlist.

@PixelGeek Login/registration is, especially now, simply a fundamental building block in the development of a website. And this, so I thought, was what the Webflow team want to achieve - empower their users to be able to build strong, complex and beautiful sites, simply.

Do all websites need sliders, interactions, (CMS) image galleries etc? No. Are they great additions in the build of a website? Yes. So are they welcome? Of course!

Is login/ registration fundamentally needed in education, e-commerce, financial/business, photography, communities, events, online marketplaces, news, product transaction (and so many more) website use cases? In the majority of sites, YES!

This component is not simply a ‘nice to have’. It has increasingly becoming an important, integral part in the building of a website.

Just to hit the point home one final time, if you look at the forum and wishlist discussions on this issue (over the past 2-3 years!) so many contributions ask if this component is in the pipeline because if it is, they will use webflow. If it isn’t they won’t.

So this is a binary issue for your customers. If this component exists in Webflow, they’ll use the platform. If it doesn’t they will go elsewhere. And that says it all really.

8 Likes

My company is having to redesign all of our client websites due to the service we use getting shut down. I’ve been pushing for webflow for all of our client websites for months now, and we finally got the go-ahead to build out some templates so I can show the rest of my department what webflow is capable of.

Unfortunately, it’s looking more and more like our clients will each want a user login to access the site we build for them. Not even complicated user profiles, just an email and password input so the website knows the user is properly associated. It really sucks that I’m having to settle for Weebly over Webflow due to this one simple site funcitonality issue.

I’m really looking forward to the day webflow gets user logins… even at the most basic level.

@garymichael1313 I went ahead with this option and super stuck do you have an example of webflow hosted site you’ve used this solution with that I can look at?

Hey Pixelsock,
Here’s what you’ll need to do. And this came up only recently about the top of the page header. I had another member mention this using a different script. That script needed to be “above the first metatag” or basically at the very top of the page.

Contact support and show them the small snippet Sitelok gives, and see if WF is blocking you from adding “at the very top” of the page.

This I didn’t know about until others starting posting about their scripts not working. And I heard WF allowed script snippets to be inserted at the top. But this may not be correct.

Sorry, I’ve haven’t used Sitelok on a Webflow site before. My statement may have been premature if they block us from adding snippets to very top. WF may move the snippets actually under the header tag on their end.

Please check that out with support. Let me know what you find out.

** If Sitelok cannot work, I’ll help you find another solution that uses - Web based domain & link protocol for the login. It may come as a monthly subscription but I remember seeing a few that offered this as an online SAAS (Software as a Service). This type tends to have a slightly higher cost because the load of security.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Authpro + Webflow for user login and registration functionality

Hi @averee.chaloupka @codyarsenault @nabbiechan @DanUK1

Good news! Very soon, you’ll be able to add accounts and subscriptions to Webflow sites!

2 Likes