Time in collection differs with time displayed on the page

Hello, my site’s time is set to Australia time zone, I am entering proper date and time in the collection, but when I view it on the published dynamic page the time is different. I don’t see any settings for time zone within the collection settings, so I don’t understand how that can happen.

I guess I dont understand how it works in principle. Setting timezone for each particular collection item would be very helpful for instance for Event calendar.

My only assumption is that my client is in AU and has created that event and then I made some changes and published it from a different timezone, could that be the issue?

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

Still couldn’t find a solution to this

Dates are the same aren’t they?

http://vincent.polenordstudio.fr/snap/gtutq.jpg

Hi @vincent The problem is not with dates but with times :slight_smile: You can see even on your screenshot that times are different

1 Like

So the time is like it’s GMT actually. You set to +8 and it added +8.

I’m not sure how it’s supposed to work really.

@cyberdave could you tell us if we’re facing something odd or if we’re overlooking something in the procedure? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Still no solution here. Very intricate thing when dealing with implementing in multi time zoned events. I wanted to at least disable the timezone completely, but seems like this is not an option either.

For instance when I view an event in Europe from the US it shows the start time in US time, this is good for web events but confusing for non web events. @cyberdave @webflow

Implementing timezone field (dropdown ? ) in collections is a must!

Hi @radmitry, there was a known issue right now with the timezone not being taken into account when displaying the dates in the designer, it was fixed but this might have popped up so it need to be checked.

As soon as there is more information about a fix for this, I will let you know. For the time being, you may have to manually adjust the time in the cms to match the actual event time so that it is published correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @cyberdave Thanks! Apart from that there is another bug. My site is set to Perth, Australia but it is displaying all times in Eastern Australia time which is 2 hours ahead of Perth :slight_smile: :footprints:

Hi @radmitry, thanks, yes, the two are related to the timezone feature on the dashboard. I am looking forward to a fix for this, and will let you know the moment the fix is pushed out on this one.

Hey @radmitry! I’ll do my best to explain how timezone is working as of today.

I’m currently in the GMT+2 timezone in Poland. I’ve set my project to be GMT+8 Australia/Perth as in your example.

I’m setting up an event to start at 12:30p and ends at 02:30p for today (June 27, 2017).

Now, the event has been stored in the database in GMT+0:

start-date-time: "2017-06-27T04:30:00.000Z",
end-date-time: "2017-06-27T06:30:00.000Z",

You can see, that that the time is exactly 8 hours away from Australia’s timezone as it’s correctly stored as GMT+0.

Going to the published website, I see same dates I’ve set:

Switching timezone now (manually in the system settings) to San Jose, which is GMT-7 and seeing same website gives me this:

Designer

Data Manager

Published Website

The core functionality is that once you set the timezone in System Settings manually (change it to something else, save, refresh, change to Australia/Perth, save) you should always see dates and times given in the timezone you have set it to, as we store them in GMT+0 and show them with your timezone applied to it.

Now… When it comes to published/created on times. I’m still in GMT-7 timezone and I’ve created same event. I’ve also added created on and published on fields on the canvas so you can see what’s going on in here. Because I’m in GMT-7 and it’s 3:31a in here, on saving the collection item it gets translated to GMT+0, which is

created-on: "2017-06-27T10:42:54.162Z",
published-on: "2017-06-27T10:43:54.107Z",

Already 7h difference :wink: Since we have timezone set to GMT+8 we can see in Designer time for published and created on shown in that timezone:

If I were to view this site (still in San Jose) I will get the same result of 6:42p and 6:43p for created and published dates.

If I switch to my timezone (GMT+2) and refresh published site I’m also getting same time. Same thing for if I refresh Designer.

I really hope this bring more light onto how Timezones are working and what is being shown and stored for your website. Let me know if you need some more details or have some questions about it :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Bart

1 Like

Deep bow @bart :pray: You explained all possible details.

1 Like

@bart You provided a very good insight, so now I set timezone to Greenwich GMT+0 and it does the job for now since the event calendar displays a lot of countries, we will say that times are provided for local timezone of the event. However implementing a timezone support in collections would be awesome @webflow Thx! :webflow_heart:

Also would be awesome to set time picker as not required by default for the Date fields with a time picker. For some events I need to set time and for others I don’t , and creating additional date field and setting up conditional view is too confusing @webflow

UPD: for now I will just add option field with several timezones, so client will set time in GMT+0 , and then a timezone will be displayed below the time, so this is a workaround I see for now. Thanks everybody @bart, @cyberdave

Hi @radmitry and all, we just pushed out a fix for the timezone issues. What is shown in Data Manager should now show on the published site.

Let me know if you notice any strange behavior. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey @cyberdave Thanks a lot for the update!

I will test it when I’ll have a free moment. Good luck

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.