Streaming live at 10am (PST)

People react to: Ecommerce announcement

oe5dH3w

6 Likes

Nice!

Would love to see customer accounts where they could log in, add or amend their address and billing details, see previous purchases - this last one would be very useful for selling digital and downloadable files - customers could view previous downloads, see if they have updates or have the option to download again if necessary should they lose file for example.

4 Likes

The wishlist update tone seems pretty positive about the advancement of the feature. I’m team @magicmark :smirk: :raised_hands::raised_hands:

5 Likes

Yes, fingers crossed that the beta release is soon. It looks like they have the majority of the problems and ideas in place.

And editing subscriptions would be nice. Cancel a subscription or change the frequency …

1 Like

So you recon end of April, I would be happy with that, but still stick with my prediction of June before we hear any more. We have all got to play the game of promoting it everywhere first for Webflow (which I don’t mind but will take time)

What can I say? :man_shrugging: I’m a video editor and I design lots of e-commerce sites (multiple in development) so going frame by frame of a video is a sickness of mine. :face_with_thermometer: Hoping that getting in on the Beta will be my cure. :grin:

Variants are definitely a necessity, but let me also throw out add-ons and bundles. Add-ons are à la carte options that can be added onto a product either individually or combined. Each add-on should be able to affect the price, weight, and size just like a variant would. Bundles allow individual products to be grouped together for a discounted or group price.

:shopping_cart: This makes sense, and I think it is an appropriate and flexible way for designers to implement a cart within the design language of Webflow. What about the link/button element (usually placed in the navbar) that activates the visibility of the cart modal, will it also be a standard element in the Add Panel? Maybe the element handles all of it like the Navbar does currently by being able to open and close. Could it be added to the Link settings so that a designer could trigger the cart from any kind of link element anywhere? :thinking:

Yes that is the big one. I was thinking hard about this one. Refund Policy, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service are some standard pages that should be linked from the Checkout page. Also a full page Cart would be nice.

Not sure how the “checkout success” is being handled, but if this was a Utility page we could then designed something to upsell customers or point them towards other site content. A simple successful message like on forms would work but will not have a pull to keep visitors on the site.

So far my requested list of ecommerce utility pages looks like this.

• Full Page Cart
  • Checkout Page
  • Checkout Success Page
  • Refund Policy Page
  • Privacy Policy Page
  • Terms of Service Page

Is ecommerce a new tab in the Editor then with order and store management?

@kkilat Appreciate your openness to share details with us! Go Webflow! :webflow_heart:

5 Likes

KEY FEATURE

“Funnels” - Sorry for the long rant.

My main focus for web development is e-commerce and one feature that I don’t see mentioned here but is probably a crucial feature is sales funnels. In this case it means order bumps and add-ons that are offered after you have already captured someones payment information.

Many of us are aware of “Click Funnels” and Russel Brunson - if not, please take a moment to see the empire he has created with his software.

The idea is that once your customer has already filled out their payment details and clicked “place order” you then present them with a last minute offer that is “too hard to refuse” and this is added to their order with no further action from the customer other than clicking the “yes I want this” button. They have already done the hard work of entering their information and payment details, why not take advantage of it. If not, they click no-thanks and the confirmation shows up as normal.

The problem with offering “you might also like” or other add-ons prior to checking out is that it creates a barrier and a distraction which can lead to abandonment. If a customer has decided to add an item to the cart, you don’t want to side track them from completing their order. However, once they have clicked the “place order” button why not show them one more more last minute offers that are instantly added to their order before showing the final order confirmation page.

Sure it’s important that Webflow releases a solid e-commerce platform but it’s just as important that Webflow focus on the future and on features that are not currently available (easily) with Shopify, WordPress, etc.

We want Webflow to help designers and developers create SUCCESSFUL online stores for their clients, not just a good looking store. We want conversions.

Click Funnels has a rather expensive monthly fee and yet thousands and thousands of marketers use this to sell online. The Click Funnels builder is no where near what Webflow offers. They have limited back end support for e-commerce, no way to manage products, or connect to Shopify and other 3rd parties without some serious work arounds.

With Webflow now adding e-commerce there is no reason not to have this “Funnel” functionality from day 1. You would instantly leap in front of any other e-commerce platform as no-one has this without adding customizations that have a huge pain point.

I’m happy to provide more detailed research that I’ve done regarding this part of the market with the Webflow staff offline if needed but I’d suggest anyone who is serious about attracting future Webflow clients to research Click Funnels and this functionality. There is a huge market for the Webflow community to capture if we had this functionality in Webflow.

• Rant over :slight_smile:
7 Likes

Wondering if webflow will offer recurring payments to the checkout also?

Hey all, sorry for the delayed response. I did want to take a minute to chime in on the ETA discussion.

We are certainly still building out this offering now – so I wouldn’t expect Beta access in a matter of days or weeks. I totally understand the desire to have this functionality as quickly as possible. I don’t think there’s anybody who wants to make that happen more than me!

But as you can see from the roadmap at the bottom of the site, even for the Beta and initial full release there is A LOT that needs to be in place for this to be a viable Ecommerce solution from the start.

A number of the big pieces of our initial offering have been already built, others are deep in development, and others are ‘still being designed’ (though nearing completion of that process). We have a plan in place to roll out different features to certain users in phases throughout the Beta, too – so I also wouldn’t expect to wait until everything is done before getting any access, either.

With all that said, I CAN’T promise a specific ETA on when everyone will get access to everything we are working on. But I CAN promise that this is a top priority for us, and our team is working incredibly hard to build you the best possible Ecommerce solution that we can – something that the world hasn’t really seen yet!

We know you’ve been waiting a long time already, but appreciate your patience as we bring this to life for you. Most importantly, though, we appreciate your excitement and the feedback, suggestions, questions, and concerns you are sharing with us as part of this process. That is the most important thing you can do to help make the best solution we possibly can – so thank you, and please keep it coming!

6 Likes

This is certainly something on our radar, and we envision it being a big piece of our offering in the longer term. It won’t be there in the very beginning, but we certainly understand the importance and value of having these features for you and your stores!

1 Like

Yup, those features certainly make sense too, though they most likely won’t be there for the initial launch. The items in the roadmap at the bottom of the announcement page is not meant to be a completely exhaustive list though, so the plan is to be able to prioritize features like these in with some of the ‘larger’ ones on the list as well – using customer feedback like you’ve provided to help inform those decisions.

What about the link/button element (usually placed in the navbar) that activates the visibility of the cart modal, will it also be a standard element in the Add Panel? Maybe the element handles all of it like the Navbar does currently by being able to open and close.

I think things like the Navbar’s mobile menu, the Dropdown widget, etc. provide a pretty good example of how we’re currently building our the customizable Cart – with the button/link and the cart details being pieces of a unified component experience.

Refund Policy, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service are some standard pages that should be linked from the Checkout page

Makes sense for many stores to have those pages – though they can always be created manually and still linked to from the Checkout page, which is a ‘workaround’ that probably involves a similar amount of effort.

Also a full page Cart would be nice.

We’ve gone back and forth on this one, to be honest. Probably won’t have it initially, as we hope that our customizable Cart widget allows you enough flexibility to create a similar enough experience if desired. That said, it’s certainly something we’ll be continuing to listen for feedback on throughout the Beta process.

Not sure how the “checkout success” is being handled, but if this was a Utility page we could then designed something to upsell customers or point them towards other site content.

I can’t promise that it this is exactly how things will end up after development and the Beta process, but this is the current approach we are taking right now – a separate Checkout Success / Order Confirmation utility page.

Is ecommerce a new tab in the Editor then with order and store management?

I’d say that’s a close enough guess :wink:

No need to apologize! We appreciate the detailed explanation of what you’d like to see included. While I wouldn’t expect this in the initial offering, absolutely makes sense as an enhancement for us to consider prioritizing in the future.

Sure it’s important that Webflow releases a solid e-commerce platform but it’s just as important that Webflow focus on the future and on features that are not currently available (easily) with Shopify, WordPress, etc.

+1

We want Webflow to help designers and developers create SUCCESSFUL online stores for their clients, not just a good looking store. We want conversions.

+1,000!!

Looks like I was right re timescales :frowning:

3 Likes

Sorry to say but I think we might have to wait a while reading the latest on this one :frowning:

Sales funnels gets my vote as does a search filter (yes I know I keep going on about this)

1 Like

Yes I think I’ll have to concede that one!

I’m in two minds whether to get a client to wait it out and build everything else in the meantime, or just add an external cart again…

1 Like

I’m going to be building out ecommerce sites the way I always have and, as long as the pricing on this isn’t absolutely idiotic, I’ll be migrating people over to it for free, since it’s simply much better for myself in the long run.

Again, with the stipulation that the pricing on this is not boneheadedly stupid.

4 Likes

Would be great if it is a free addition to business hosting.
OR if it was free with all hosting i’d bring the whole family over.

1 Like

Im also in the same exact situation. :thinking:

1 Like