Nested CMS collection pages (sub-pages) using multi-reference?

Hello,

I’m trying to create a series of landing pages using the CMS. I understand the basic concept of using a collection template to achieve this. What I am wondering is if there is a way to use multi-reference field to generate sub-pages for each collection page.

For example we have two collections each containing three items. The first collection is linked to the second with a multi-reference field. Is there a way to generate 9 pages, one for each of the parent collection and referenced collection?

If we have

Cities

• Chicago
  • New York
  • Los Angeles

and

Services

• Butcher
  • Baker
  • Candlestick Maker

Can I create 9 pages automatically with one template?

i.e. example.com/new-york/butcher ?
or even example.com/new-york-butcher ??

I saw examples using AirTable and WhaleSync, but it’s unclear if they actually solve this problem or just sync a flat database. I’d also rather not complicate things with a third-party service.

Thanks for any help!

Automatically, no. Instead you’d create a 3rd collection that single-references the first two, and use it as the basis for your intersecting pages.

CityService
1 Chicago Butcher
2 Chicago Baker
etc.

@memetican I’m not sure how even doing it this way manually would solve the problem. I might as well just use one collection if I’m doing that much work.

I could make a duplicate collection for each location that all contain the same services. That would at least give a nice URL structure (/location/service), but then I would still have to keep them in sync.

Hi Justin,

The main advantage to the cross-reference pattern is that you can bulk load and automate the creation of thousands of records if you need to, and each has full access to the related record fields. In most of my projects, great SEO is a primary requirement, so having individual pages for e.g. Location and Service are great.

With an xref, you can easily list the relevant services on your city page, the relevant cities on your services page, and connect everything up easily.

However your URLs would not be segmented. Instead they’d look something like-
/c/chicago_baker

Depending on how you want to SEO.

I wouldn’t recommend splitting a collection the way you’re describing, you’ll likely find the admin overhead and the resulting limitations are not an acceptable trade-off.