My client already has a domain and host

My client already has a domain and host, do I have to use the Webflow hosting?

Yes!

Webflow is built in a way that the sites are automatically hosted while you build it. I mean it’s not like build in one place and host in another; like traditional web dev process. Just think it like a Google Doc, you edit it and it auto saves, that’s it. With Webflow host you get a custom link or you can point your domain to it.

Webflow provides all its features, builders and data management through its hosted system managed by Webflow.

You do can export the code built with Webflow but you’ll lose some of the things. And I do not recommend someone use Webflow just for exporting for another development process.

But what if my client is satisfied with his current hosting? And how can we retain our domain name?

Broo! In my experience, you can export the code and upload it to the public_html and load all your zip, IF you have CMS it won’t work if you export the code. So think about if your client have a cms :slight_smile:

Hi @Stacey_Dunleavy,

If you were going to use Webflow Hosting, you would still be able to retain the domain name. The client would only cancel their current hosting but not their domain name.

You can then follow directions to connect the domain to the Webflow project here:

As @abirana and @Bimbi mentioned, you can use the Code Export feature and use the client’s current host but will lose certain functionality:

CMS and Ecommerce content (databases) aren’t exported. Collection lists will show the empty state. Collection pages will also not show any content that’s bound to Collection fields as well.