Collection URL with nested folders

I have to create a Guides collections for several products of our company

• /guides/company/saas/getting-started
  • /guides/company/chrome-extension/getting-started
  • /guides/academy/advertising/intro
  • /guides/academy/seo/intro

It’s similar to Stripe docs:Stripe Documentation

All are documentation page have the same layout but I want that each slug post has a different subfolder.

When creating the Collection URL I would like to use this format /guides/{category}/{subcategory}/title
How can I do it?
Should I create folders and static pages ?

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

You can’t. CMS items are limited to /collection-slug/item-slug only. Static pages and folders give you that freedom you seek with the caveat of 100 static pages period.

Hi @webdev,

Has there been an evolution to this?

I believe the above use-case is a valid one. I also have a valid use case as I want to have certain collection items that utilise custom URLs.

Is this currently under consideration?

Kind regards,
Nat

I could not tell you since I don’t have any insight other than what is publically shared. I suspect not, but then again, only Webflow would know.

1 Like

This is something I really hope is coming soon. Im in the process of design for a daycare that has 135 locations. For users & seo, I need to have nested slugs. Example: Locations/Florida/Jacksonville/SchoolPage. If webflow doesnt come up with this ability, I fear we will have to develop in another cms, which is disheartening - as I love their tool. Assembling 135 (soon to be 200) static school pages is simply a deal-breaker.

You can solve this with a reverse proxy setup if it’s a priority for you.
Honestly I rarely find it worth the effort though. SEO signals are better established through titles, H1’s, domain name, META description, inbound links and page content.

The url path likely just isn’t worth the hassle.

From a usability perspective, you can use 301 redirects to send /Locations/Florida/Jacksonville/SchoolPage anywhere you like, and you can use wildcard patterns to simplify that.

It usually is when you use a tool that supports it and you are dealing with geographical related content like service pages or directories. When this is a requirement Webflow is not the right tool.

Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I think I side on you with this topic. As we all are aware, SEO is a variety of signals, tactics, and best practices…all of which contribute to and work in harmony together (some holding more weight than others) but none that are the end all be all. That said, I don’t think I want to chance not having a logical page path (i.e nested collection pages) which, as you stated, Webflow cannot do. Can you recommend any alternatives? Or should I simply return to Wordpress for this use case?

Thanks for your reply. I hadn’t thought of 301’s. I’m on the fence about the whole fruits of effort topic in regards to url structure. It seems to be a highly debated topic. One thing that is agreed is that it’s not near as important as other factors and semi-low impact (which agree). I just tend to err on the side of doing everything I can to increase potential authority. Thanks, once again for chiming in!!

@rjkc - I don’t know your functional requirements so I can’t recommend a particular tool that meets yours. I have extensive experience with a wide array of both traditional CMSs, Headless CMS builds, and WordPress. Feel free to PM me if you want some assistance narrowing your options down.

Hey! I was reading this thread looking for a similar requirement and I found a workaround with the new feature around creating Folders for CMS collection pages, which will nest your collections urls under the folder url: Webflow's SEO Boost: CMS Folders! 🗂️🚀 - YouTube
Hope this is useful to you too.
Cheers,

2 Likes