Can client use CMS without buying Webflow Account plan?

I have a client that needs to be able to manage a new website and blog via a CMS.

The Webflow pricing is a mess. I think I as the designer will need to pay for an Account plan (subscription fee to use Webflow to design and build sites) and the client will need to pay for a Site plan to host the website??

Presumably the client can use the Webflow CMS, with their Site plan, without having to also buy an Account plan?

Presumably the CMS can do all the normal stuff, like add a new page, create a new blog post, edit content, upload images, add video and podcasts to existing pages?

Many thanks

Hey @mark2!

If your Webflow project has a CMS site plan, then your client will be able to add, edit, or delete CMS items through the Editor.

All you have to do would be to invite them as a content collaborator.
Once you invite them, they can create their own login and password to access the Editor.

We do appreciate the feedback about our plans and pricing, and we are always looking at ways to improve :slightly_smiling_face:

Am I right in thinking there are two ways for a client to control their site: the Editor (a highly visual and intuative way to edit the site) and secondly the CMS (which is much more like a backend CMS like Wordpress)?

For a client to use the Editor (but not the CMS collections) do they still need the CMS site plan?

Even with the CMS site plan, a client can not add a new page (unless it is part of a collection)?

Can clients add images, video or podcasts using the Editor (as oppose to the CMS)?

I think the Webflow pricing would be much clearer if you used different words. Account Plan becomes Webflow Subscription. Site Plan becomes Hosting.

I just happen to be up for some reason, so I’d be happy to chime in here :slight_smile:

Am I right in thinking there are two ways for a client to control their site: the Editor (a highly visual and intuative way to edit the site) and secondly the CMS (which is much more like a backend CMS like Wordpress)?

The only way someone without access to the Designer to edit the CMS content is through the Editor.

For a client to use the Editor (but not the CMS collections) do they still need the CMS site plan?

Correct, the Editor requires a Collaborator account and you only have access to those when you sign up for a CMS Site plan. That said, you (as the developer) can access the Editor yourself through the Project Settings or via the Designer in the top left menu.

Even with the CMS site plan, a client can not add a new page (unless it is part of a collection)?

Correct, there aren’t any “template” pages (outside of Collection Pages) so you’d need to add those to the project within the Designer. This also includes any navigation links—a new page doesn’t create a link unless you add it.

Can clients add images, video or podcasts using the Editor (as oppose to the CMS)?

Since the Editor is the only way to use the CMS, as long as you have Collections created for that type of content, then the Editor is the only way they’d be able to add/update it.

I think the Webflow pricing would be much clearer if you used different words. Account Plan becomes Webflow Subscription. Site Plan becomes Hosting.

I agree—the pricing in general seems to get the most questions from folks new to the platform and I could see some benefit in tweaking the naming convention a bit.

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions :+1:

1 Like