301 redirect and its affect on SEO

Our company, under30experiences.com–which is hosted on webflow, has been using a third party website hosting service for our trip itineraries. Once people click on a trip, they’re taken to a service hosted by Strikingly where the url is modified and we set up a forward via godaddy so it all connects.

For example, if someone clicks on a Costa Rica trip from under30expiences.com, they’re taken to an external site: startercostarica.under30experiences.com. I want to change that (for many obvious reasons) and am currently working on building on the itineraries on Webflow. However, I want to make sure I keep the SEO juice from all these former links that have been driving seo for years.

My idea was to simply set up a 301 redirect from startercostarica.under30experiences.com to the new url, under30experiences.com/trip/starter-costa-rica. But I have read articles like this discussing how 301 redirects can negatively affect seo by around 15% or more–but more importantly, if there is a https migration it could severly affect it.

My question is, what is the risk in setting up 301 redirects on webflow for each of these? Thank you in advance.

From my read of the MOZ article you cited, as long as your new page content is essentially the same, you shouldn’t take a hit:

Ideally, if you 301 redirect a page to an exact copy of that page, and the only thing that changes is the URL, then in theory you may expect no traffic loss with these new guidelines.

1 Like

A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect which passes between 90-99% of link equity to the redirected page. 301 refer to the HTTP status code for redirect. The 301 redirect is the best method for implementing redirects on a website.

well, 301 redirection doesn’t have too much effect on SEO. This is a fact that 301 redirection doesn’t pass 100% SEO. But it is necessary some of the URLs are indexed in search engines and also cause to drive traffic. If someone goes that indexed URLs which is useless or doesn’t exist then it creates a negative impression on the user. I have an example of my site https://rankroar.com/, I have redesigned it and remove old pages but the problem I faced it that the old pages had been indexed and appearing in search result which takes the user to 404-page error. To gid rid of this issue, I make 301 redirections on all those pages whom I deleted or changed.

Yes, it can affect your SEO performance. If you do 301 correctly user and Googlebot will be redirected from old URL to the new one. But “link juice” will not be redirected in 100% - there is always a little loss of “link juice”. but don’t worry, googlebot will count it again. You can check this post. Which I came across while searching Why 302 Redirect Can Hurt Your Website And SEO Efforts? | Incrementors