WOO this CMS is gonna be really really cool

Hmmmmm, interesting.

So so many questions. Not being negative just intrigued…

How will this affect the current UI? Do we have to have a database on all our sites now?
Will current sites remain untouched and can we design without a database if we want to, or do we have to integrate CMS into them?
Hacking risks of databases? used to use Joomla a while back, hack, hack, hack.
Whenever you unleash a client on a site they invariably fudge it up. How will Webflow overcome this?

The thought of using all the brilliant aspects of Webflow with the ability to integrate a CMS is mouth watering but it will need to be rock solid to live up to anywhere near sort of expectations it is promising. I just hope this has been well thought through as I love Webflow as it stands, I just don’t want this to be something we HAVE to use, it needs to be an option. Can’t stress that enough.

Can’t wait to hear more.

4 Likes

@Arthur Sorry i copied and pasted the above repsonse from a previous thread where i was getting hyped at @kristofer joining Webflow (He’s a super wizkid at Flexbox!!!) :smiley:

Here was the original thread: Flexbox + @kristofer + Webflow = Awesome! I'm Excited! - General - Forum | Webflow

And here was the example i used in that thread: https://webflow.com/website/Starter-Grid (Flexbox in Webflow Example)

2 Likes

This is too COOOL!

It’s like Apple releasing the iPod or iPhone for the first time.

Bye Business Catalyst!!!

That said, I will reduce my expectations to match the reality of this product update.

My questions/thoughts…

1. Bugs - Oh the bugs are coming in bunches.
  2. Product Updates - Now Webflow will have to closely manage the product. Will they - in the past it seemed ( perceived or real ) to be a mostly “hands-off” product for the Webflow Team? Now we are dealing with data… How will this change?
  3. Extensions and API - That has to be a part of the mix.
  4. Pricing structure - Will the price change to reflect the increase demands?
  5. Integration - Will Zapier be the only integration outlet or will Webflow pursue that course?
  6. Our clients - How will our clients be effected by this MASSIVE update.

Congrats Webflow - you are now in the big leagues of software development…

4 Likes

@Golden28 I know I have so many questions about it too… I basically concluded that they will tell us when they tell us, because they basically announced a million new features, CMS (!!!), BLOG (!!!), ECOMMERSE (!!!) etc… so I basically want to know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING.

Unfortunately I don’t think there gonna tell us… yet.

Arthur

1 Like

@Excellentchoice agreed I think they’re all relevant, what did you mean by (2.)? I think this is the start of something huge and will skyrocket webflow as a company…

@tim ahh I see that makes sense I think I looked at that a while ago but didn’t make the connection :slight_smile: looks cool though and solves an issue… until now I had two versions of the entire row, one visible only on mobile and the other desktop and they were both different, a little inconvenient… :smile:

Arthur

1 Like

BRING IT!

2 Likes

Yes and my biggest questions are going to be in terms of hosting first and price/cost second. I’m excited about a cms since I have dozens of clients that use one now and would love to convert them over to using a webflow built site. But we have our own servers and do all of our own hosting so that would be my biggest consideration which is can we still host the website cms site ourselves.

2 Likes

@adtastic I think it will probably start out with limited functionality and then grow, the main issue as I see it from the webflow team’s perspective is that it’s really hard to make all the features your users want at once without changing the entire product and annoying all your users, so a multi staged rollout with a longterm plan seems like the best option, and probably is…

Arthur

2 Likes

7 Likes

@lucaspchara

Arthur

5 Likes

My comment about “watching the product closer” - Will the Webflow team be on top of fixes, wishlist, suggestions, feature request, etc. In the past - I personally got the impression that they built a great product - a few years ago - and just let it coast. Will they actively manage the day to day issues that has been widely talked about throughout the forum for years now… My though is yes they have to because adding data/cms to the mix is a different set of issues. I can only imagine the upcoming issues.

4 Likes

Ahh I see… I think that generally the community is well managed, and that @cyberdave, @vincent and @PixelGeek will always be able to answer questions :smile:, but I see your point that in terms of actual wishlist requests and bugs that’s appears not to be the case.

I think that in terms of the actual product it is a little unfair to day that “they built a great product - a few years ago - and just let it coast” is a little unfair given that we have seen symbols, interactions, a CMS (WOO!!!), and loads more. The other thing to remember is that they themselves are a startup and though there are nearly 20 team members it is still really difficult to fix every issue while trying to push forward, and that the approach of building the great product first and to keep moving forward wins over getting bogged down in the (relatively minor) issues.

Hopefully they will get loads of new users and be able to hire a dedicated SWAT team of awesome people to fix issues with the current site :smile:

Arthur

5 Likes

My prayers have been heard. Now I can’t wait to test this.

2 Likes

@Zlate neither, this is literally going to improve my entire quality of life it’s insane… :smile:

Arthur

2 Likes

yes, good comments and observations @Arthur. When you consider that Webflow is a startup, has grown to about 20 team members and see where they are today compared to say, the first days of their existence I think they’ve come far. Sometimes I think we may focus on the negative rather than accentuating the positive and/or simply be caught up in our own particular need or issue or problem to the point of perhaps ignoring everything else. And I get that since I’ve been guilty of it as well. But I remind myself that Webflow is a great product and as far as I can see there is nothing else out there that even comes close. Yes it is not perfect and no they don’t address everything I’d hope for but in my experience with Webflow they DO seem to care about everything I hope for, at least to some extent by making me think they’ve given it thought or attention or at least responded to it in some way. And far as I can see they’ve responded to and squashed bugs promptly in most cases, added critical features many of us have been passionate about (thinking about breakpoints as an example) and are generally moving forward as a product.
So, in my opinion, I look at it like this, if you like Webflow for what it is today (discounting it might not have everything you might want or need) the best way you can help them improve is BUY a monthly plan! :grinning:

8 Likes

@adtastic absolutely agree :slight_smile: I think in the end it’s gonna be amazing, and it’s growing every day!

Arthur

1 Like

@brryant Hey guys, Quick question.

Is Webflow CMS is integrated with Webflow? or is it a separate thing we can use?

Because I don’t use Webflow… But I really interested in CMS. If its really easy for end users :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this is going to be a BC killer. From the circles I mingle with it sounds like even Adobe isn’t really all that interested in BC anymore either.

2 Likes

Business Catalyst…yikes…that was rough. Wordpress…so much headache and work for seemingly simple functionality! Webflow my be opening up a great product. Biggest Question – THE DATA! Where is the data going to live! Will we able to access the design and setup the dynamic areas then give clients access to a data only area where they can blog or content manage to their hearts desire??? So many questions.

2 Likes

@surjithctly good question but my guess is that they utilise the same designer interface, also I’d suggest to start using webflow :slight_smile: it’s amazing once you get to grips with it…

@darian completely agreed… BC is super super dodgy…

@jdesign I think that access will likely be restricted initially with access being made avaliable later. I think the thing to remember is that the vast majority of users are designers NOT developers so adding loads of complex buttons and features doesn’t really make sense, streamlining being key for the interface…

2 Likes