Webflow Multisite Approach?

Hi there,

I would like to run multiple Webflow sites (10+) that have the same structure.
In other words, I want to run a multisite project without running multiple fully individual sites.
With a stemming approach, changes to one master template should change all child templates.
At the same time, child templates should be allowed to deviate from the master.

My questions:
1.) Do you see an approach to have some kind of master template for multiple Webflow sites?
2.) How could it generally be handled that changes to this template affect all sites?

I don’t ask for the complete solution. I just would like to learn if you think, this is generally possible with Webflow. If so, what the direction to take would be (e.g. via Webflow API, stylesheets or whatever).

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t see this as reasonably possible. This would be a trivial exercise with WordPress multisite.

Thank you for your fast and helpful reply, Jeff!

The main issue is you would need 10+ hosted sites and there is no tool to sync designs across them aside from a global CSS which does not really work with Webflow. There are a bunch of other limitations that I won’t bore you with. If you need a dev partner to help you implement a solution feel free to reach out.

Hey Jeff,

Thank you again! - And sorry for my late reply.

We already have a running solution based on the Symfony framework. Working with the Symfony templates is just quite bothersome. So, I was thinking about a better decoupling from frontend and backend via Webflow. But the need to manage 10+ sites centrally seems to be a major limitation. So thank you for confirming this.

I realize this is from February of 2023, but I’m struggling to solve this same problem. Though the responses indicate that Webflow doesn’t support multisite infrastructures, I found this link: Best Multisite Websites | Free Examples & Designs - Webflow which implies otherwise. I’m a bit confused.

We have the same problem. There is setseed.com looks like a good solution. I like Webflow, but I am starting to have issues with the CMS collections not working which is frustrating as hell…

@Shawn_Edwards - Webflow’s example page you referenced does not provide any real examples of a multisite deployment. It’s just an organic landing page to pull traffic. On enterprise they have used multiple projects on subdomains or even using a reverse proxy to mimic a larger deployment. That would be pretty expensive and a pain. Reach out if you are looking for a solution to your problem since I am adept at solving them.

If I’m understanding your reply, you are thinking that these so-called multi-sites are simply replicating the site and pointing to each replication with a subdomain? I had even considered that as a short term solution, but you are right. That’s not a good plan. In my case, I am trying to change content based on a location. An example would be service area, but most pages would need to change in some way. I am open to a landing page that a location is selected, storing that selection as a cookie, and using query parameters to dictate content, but I’m struggling to figure out how to do any of that with Webflow or even if it’s possible. I welcome any ideas or solutions you might have outside of moving to Wordpress or another solution. I really like Webflow and would love to make this work.

Let me try this in baby steps because I think I have been too ambiguous. Is it possible with webflow to detect the domain and change CMS content based on that detection? In other words, if someone navigates to some sub.myurl.com/services, I want to show content A. But if they navigate to someOtherSub.myurl.com/services, they see Content B?

You can use symbols and classes in Webflow to create a master template and apply changes across multiple sites. It might involve some manual tweaking for deviations.

@cheskakim - Webflow does not support multisite and you can’t have components or classes spanning multiple projects within it without using external systems. Not sure where you are getting this information from. Care to elaborate?

@Shawn_Edwards - You can have as many paid projects as you want and a paid project can be hosted on a subdomain as desired. A project can render whatever you want within the constraints of the system.