Webflow Ecommerce website not charging tax at checkout

I’ve been looking on the forum all day but can’t seem to find an answer…

So, my client’s eCommerce website doesn’t seem to be charging any tax on purchases outside of California, the state they’re based in, and ship out of. If I log into the Webflow editor and check recent orders that have gone through, I can see that Webflow is calculating the tax for orders within California, but is not charging tax for out of state orders. (Refer to the screenshots below)

– California Order –

– Order Outside of California –

I also made sure that in the eCommerce settings I toggled off the setting for “I’ve included all taxes in my prices”, but orders outside of California still don’t get charged tax.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my site Read-Only:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/toolceptions-website?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=dashboard&utm_content=toolceptions-website&preview=9d5ac50f90824f615cd77fa5959436e9&mode=preview

1 Like

@WebflowCommunityTeam is this a bug or is it something on my end? Thanks.

If they don’t have an nexus in any other states then they have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Hi @bmichaelgroff I think I might have replied in a support thread. I’ll follow-up here as well.

It looks like the Nexus address for the site is in California. When shipping to other states you are not required to collect sales tax. California is an origin-based sales tax state so only when shipping within California will sales tax be applied. Your buyer, however, is required to pay use tax, but this is hard to enforce.

We use Taxjar for all of our automatic tax calculations. Here is a great article from Taxjar on origin-based and destination-based states: Origin-Based and Destination-Based Sales Tax Rate - TaxJar

Here is a great article that goes over taxes across different states in more detail: How to Handle Sales Taxes When You Sell Across State Lines

The ability to add manual tax rules is tentatively on the roadmap for the second half of 2020. This will allow you to have more control over how taxes are displayed if you don’t want auto-tax enabled.

1 Like

Thanks so much John, this completely answered the question!

Hello @johnramos ,

What if my nexus address is Florida instead of california?