We want to create different websites on different domains. How can we do this?

So my company wants to have a website on domain.de, domain.nl, domain.fr and domain.es. How does this work? Do we need a site plan for every single domain?

Also for another company we have domain.org (.com and eu are already taken) but also domain.nl and domain.de. We need to have a website for France, Germany, Netherlands and Spain. What would you advise? Also what’s best for SEO? I’m planning on using domain.org and then domain.org/de, domain.org/nl etc. OR domain.de (because our main targetgroup is in Germany) and then domain.de/fr, domain.de/nl etc.

Hi @Griesz

It depends on what you want to achieve. If you have multiple domain (domain.[de, fr,es…]) pointing to the same Webflow website, you will have the same content on different domain → You will risk content duplication penalties from Google

Regarding the second question, multi-regional websites normally normally thought from 2 perspectives: Subdomain (es.domain.com, fr.domain.com) or Subfolder (domain.org/de)
To take a decision, I will recommend referring to the Google documentation on multiregion

In general, the subfolder options are best for SEO, but it all depends on your goals.

Going for the last option - domain.de/[fr, es] might be confusing for user and you won’t be able to use geotargetting.

Here is the answer from John Mueller (from Google search console) talking about if domain extension is globally available:
"Mueller says:

“The answer is yes. While a country code domain name helps our systems to geotarget for that country, it still allows for global visibility.

The only limitation is that you can’t specify other countries for geotargeting. For example, if you have a .fr website for France, you could use that globally. But you wouldn’t be able to geotarget users in Brazil explicitly."

All the best
Sofian

1 Like