Updates to our pricing and plans

Hey @jjmcquade

We recognize that Site plan increases affect everyone — and have designed our grace periods to ease the transition for you or your clients.

If you’re already working with clients who aren’t covered by these grace periods, please reach out to our team and we’d be happy to help.

Hey @Xel Good question.

Freelancer and Agency workspaces are designed specifically for those who work with multiple clients and frequently transfer sites to external teams.

Core or Growth workspaces are designed with in-house teams in mind, focused more on building and managing sites within a single organization or team.

The key point here is that freelancers and agencies need to build sites in full, then transfer to the client, and the client pays the hosting fee. These new workspace plans mean you no longer need to pay for hosting, cancel, transfer, and then client pay for hosting.

In-house teams don’t need to worry about the transfer process and can add a site plan whenever it is needed in the process.

Hope that helps explain the difference.

1 Like

Webflow is becoming such an incredible chaotic and expensive mess, I can’t believe this… :face_with_spiral_eyes: nobody gets your “plans”, “workspaces”, “starters”, “agencies”, …

15 Likes

One day, a web company will have the guts to say they’re increasing their prices because their millionaire investors and millionaire board members realised that the market will carry it, because the competitors are increasing too.

Today is not that day.

To have the audacity to justify a 43% price hike with “Well, it was too cheap” is just mind-blowing.

You had an opportunity to build more trust with your community. You chose not to do that.

Sure, you’ll survive. You’ve calculated that the friction involved with switching will be too great for most freelancers. You know they’ll take the hit. You know it will impact their financial situation. You calculated that you don’t rely on the low-end market for your revenue, so you don’t need to cater for them.

Millionaires sure forget real quick what it means to struggle. Imagine having $100 million annual recurring revenue and doing this?

For the record: No issue with increases. Just with super-bad communication and 43% increases.

I’ll leave you with the boss’s own words, on why he really really wants your money:

The company now has 400 employees and $335 million in total capital raised; enough of the money from past funding rounds is still in the bank, Magdalin says, that the company can self-sustain for at least four years.

10 Likes

Hmm, I am a Freelancer on the Growth plan (thank you, I still pay the cheaper Pro price), but I never transfer my sites to clients. I pay the hosting, add a service fee on top and invoice my clients. This is a steady income. I don’t think I’m the only freelancer having this business model. I mean, I think, your customers are not either this or that. That’s why your workspaces plans are getting quite confusing for some I suppose. But yes, I know I can switch to the new Agency plan to get the FULL CMS access on unhosted sites, it is nearly the same price for me, but nevertheless, I don’t really understand why you don’t include this feature in the Core and Growth plan, when they are more expensive than the Freelancer and Agency plan.

3 Likes

Sounds like an Agency workspace is right for you and that business model.

To reiterate, the differences between the In-house workspace plans (core/growth) and the Service Provider workspace plans (freelancer/agency) will grow over time to be more specific to the different needs of those building with Webflow.

@matthewpmunger

As a SOLO freelancer I’ve just switched to workspaces from Professional to Grow (switching to Agency was not possible at the beginning) and I’ve been charged extra 70$ without any single notice, even though Webflow promised in February that current Pro members will be not paying anything extra and will get coupons for their next annually payment. I can provide all the proves and emails for that.

So I don’t understand and find it ethical to be charged extra 70$? which even makes it more fishy to do that without a notice? When I had to click to switch my workspace the calculation was exactly 0$ !!!

I’m very sorry to say that but whoever came up with this business model for pricing would need to get a nobel price. I personally like complicated and good things but this is crazy!

As a solo FREELANCER I have to choose Agency price modelling even though Freelancer price model exists but with unlogical project limitations and I can’t choose Grow model because I have literally no idea what the difference is between Agency and Grow from functionality.

So the agency price model can’t add hosting to their projects?

I am really looking forward to get a solution for this unnoticed extra charge!

3 Likes

Hey @zweimillimeter

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately not something I can help with. Please contact support direct from this page so they can help with that issue.

We hear you about the unhosted project limitation and understand this for sure. The agency plan gives unlimited unhosted sites at a discounted rate (compared to Growth) to make it more accessible.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, I already contacted support via email.

It is just amazing how this product became so “different” from management and user experience but not the product itself. We all use Webflow to create better user interfaces and experiences but I would literally rate webflow user experience “ZERO”

Most complicated and unnecessary pricing model ever, literally no-one understands it. I bet some of internal people also don’t understand how it really works. So basically Grow and Agency are literally the same and identical but Grow is more expensive than Agency because there is a hope that over time both will likely have “different” features or benefits?

I wish I could see that moment when this person had a presentation about that pricing model in front of all c-levels and investors.

There is a quite mainstream quote by a famous architect and this is well known by other architects.

“Less is more” Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

7 Likes

Transfer between any type of workspace (starter, freelancer, agency, core, growth) happens almost instantly. (transferring between workspaces)

You should be able to transfer from the legacy Pro plan to a client’s workspace. (see note) If you’re running into issues with that please contact support.

Thanks for clarification @matthewpmunger. As transferring to Workspace take at least 90-days from initialization I will still wait with transfer for another a few months and probably move on when everything will settle down technically and financially in hope not to see further limitation and cutoffs or another prices jump again. Unfortunately WF is more than few months behaves as loose cannon.

Like Rich Harris currently mentioned on Svelte Conf. “no-code is expensive”

I am assuming a 44% increase will also apply to nonprofit plans. That sucks (there is no nice way to say it). Nonprofits need cheap options, and the best one rarely is the most cost-effective. Webflow was affordable for nonprofits, and now not so much. There are alternatives (without nonprofit pricing) that have always been cheaper than Webflow (with nonprofit pricing), but I was able to justify the extra cost. You had the opportunity to offer nonprofits a tool they could never have dreamed of affording, and you threw it away. I just finished the transfer to webflow for my org, and now it sounds like we have to change platforms again within a year. Your improvements to the CMS plan are significant, but a 44% markup is huge. Given an increase this big, I imagine management has been aware of WF’s unsustainable pricing for some time. This large shock and apparent lack of transparency are not thrilling.

7 Likes

Hey Chris,

Thanks for writing in, our intention is to maintain the discounts available for nonprofit plans. These plans will have the grace period automatically applied, however we are working on new ways to maintain nonprofit site solutions well into the future.

If you have any issues with your existing sites or are looking to create new nonprofit sites, please reach out to support@webflow.com and we’d be happy help you.

1 Like

I feel the same. I always found the original prices a hard sell and now we get a 44% increase while we have been waiting patiently on the Wishlist for features that should be mandatory. Webflow still doesn’t bill in native currency so we, the customer, get international bank fees on every transaction. I’ve already lost a few clients who choose to use other platforms and that was BEFORE this price increase. I keep reading about improvements and growing as a “community” but I’m just not feeling any of it. I’ll be feeling nothing but embarrassed to tell my clients this news and a slight regret that I recommended Webflow to them in the first place.

7 Likes

…right.

So what happens if you do both? Which is the right plan?

What happens if you are adding “guest access” for your client, but you are also NOT transferring sites to external teams. Would that violate your terms of agreement? Can I host the site myself but give clients access to the editor so they can make some changes for themselves?

Does opting for either one plan or the other eventually lock you into a very specific workflow?

@Emily_Lonetto

Thanks for that.

I hope webflow does re-evaluate the nonprofit discount model in light of the price increases. I understand that price changes are sometimes inevitable, but nonprofits don’t have much flexibility. We adopted WF on the premise that the nonprofit pricing was similar to our old platform (which also included a completely customizable CMS). The grace period is very appreciated, though. Any longer-term relief from the price increases would be incredible for nonprofits.

…so after re-reading this, would it be fair to say that:

If you are building websites for clients, you should be using either Freelancer or Agency.

If you are only building and managing a website for your own organization, then you should be using Core or Growth.

Is that what you mean?

Its the “frequently transfer sites to external teams” bit that confuses me. I build websites for clients, host them in webflow and bill the client every month for that hosting. I give them access to the Designer but NOT the editor. I’m not really “transferring the site to an external team”, am I? I’m effectively hosting and managing the website myself.

Can you provide some “user personas” that can provide a clearer example of what sort of person/organization would use each plan?

Webflow in 2029:

16 types of site plan: (One section only, Micro, Mini, Pro, Star, Mega star, Big, Even bigger, Huge, Extra…).

23 types of workplaces: (Lite, Pro, Freelance, Agency, Pro plus, Pro plus plus, Enterprise, Mega enterprise, King of the web…).

Salad :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The grace period is really nice… but just delays the inevitable uncomfortable conversation. Think about it like this. Many of your customers worked hard to sell your platform to current Wordpress users… at a price increase.

Recently we had to turn around and tell them that we needed to change their billing methods… then just few months later… FYI 44% increase in pricing incoming… makes us look really bad.

12 Likes

On one hand I can understand the new prices, especially with the new logic features. On the other, I start looking for other alternatives like elementor and wp.

3 Likes