Remove webflow references and w--class names in exported code?

With exported code, does anyone have any best hacks to remove any reference to Webflow in the HTML and CSS?

Not that I don’t love webflow, but I’d rather not give away my ‘webflow’ secret.

I’m thinking of just doing a search and replace webflow with something like devteam or something like that, anyone else try to do this or know of the fastest route.

Any downsides to doing this?

Hi @clickryan, well one way, is to upgrade to the Professional plan, and then you can remove that branding from your Site Settings via our Professional plan white label features. You can go to Site Settings > Hosting and at the bottom you’ll see “Branding”. :smile:

Cheers, Dave

1 Like

Pretty simple really and takes less then a minute.

1. Export & unzip your site
  2. Open Sublime Text 3
  3. Click Find → Find in Files
  4. Paste in the string you want to remove.
  5. Select the exported folder.
  6. Leave the replace line blank or add your custom string.
  7. Click replace.
1 Like

Can you import it back into WF after making changes? I don’t think so. If you want to host with WF and you’re a pro plan member (substantial for a start up) I have a hard time wondering why I am advertising for the product. What is the rational @cyberdave

You should be careful when you replace the word webflow,
first of all open the index and every page in the website by any text editor and remove or change the phrase: This site was created in Webflow, then rename the webflow.css file and also change it in the html

if you dont change the css file your website will look a crap :slight_smile:

hi @jwburkhard

I’ve downloadee the sublime demo, did all 7 steps, but still no joy ;(

Next to the search and replace text area that reads FIND, there are like 5 icons, its defaulting on the 5th one, is that what we want?

I’ve just tried this, and when I tried to view the page, something in the formatting went haywire and it’s lost all its styles, only the text and images show up all left aligned going down the page.

thxs

Hi Guys we have the professional service and would like to remove webflow refference when we export the code as we like to host on our own servers, is this possible please?

Danny

Yeah. It is.But you have to go thru the agony of stripping of “webflow” thru all your pages. If you have 100 pages in your project. This won’t be pleasant task

Long time solution is to give us the freedom (pro user) to rename the “webflow.css” to any name we desire without affecting WF functionality. Afterall, it is just a css file.

1 Like

where is this option ? I don’t see it.

@Revolution, @Danny_Hazelgrove, thanks for your question, the option to remove branding is available to members on the Professional plan or higher. The checkbox to turn off the branding elements is on the Hosting Tab for your site.

If you have any further question on that, let me know :slight_smile: Cheers, Dave

i believe this gets rid of all webflow references except the ‘w’ attached to each of the classes used throughout the site.

Hi @Amreet_Gill, yes that is correct, this removes the branding mark at the beginning of the html, but does not change the w- element names, that part is not removed and cannot be removed. Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave. Can you guys also enable an option for us to change the name of the webflow.css to any name we desire, as long as it ends with .css without breaking WF. I think that is a better white-label.

Hey @topelovely, to help us understand your needs better - are you looking to have the “webflow.css” file renamed for sites published on the Webflow domain or in the exported ZIP file?

Am looking at the exported ZIP file.

1 Like

Thanks @cyberdave… Found it - I had thought this option would be global… not at the project level (which I prefer).

@others:

The debranding only removes the “Made in Webflow” comment.

It does not rename the “w_” references. It would be nice if webflow allowed the user to enter (at a project level) a unique id to be used as a reference. So “w-clearfix” could be “revclearfix”… if I set “rev” as the id.

It does not rename the css or js files.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/webflow.css">
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/bw2.webflow.css">
  <script type="text/javascript" src="js/webflow.js"></script>

Again… it would nice to have a project level id… (using the above example) would become

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/revflow.css">
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/bw2.revflow.css">
  <script type="text/javascript" src="js/revflow.js"></script>

@font-face {
font-family: ‘webflow-icons’;

Changing the font-family would be an issue… but perhaps using a more generic name ?

1 Like

@callmevlad and @cyberdave

First of all great product!

I’m interested in what happened to Revolution 's suggestion?

@cyberdave Please update us on Revolution tip

Hi @Ali, those w-classes are currently required for proper site operation. I cannot say when or how this functionality will be updated.

So we can add this to the wishlist, I have changed the category to reflect that. When there is an update to this, the post will be updated.

2 Likes