No sorting options

Sharelink
Sitelink

Hi, I don’t have any sorting options on this dynamic list. Is that normal?

Its a dynamic list inside a Collection page template. I want to sort the players after the player number.

index > lagene > Damelaget

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

2 Likes

Ok. where the info was it was an random email (that I dont understand at all) and some of the information was wrong. Had to do it over again. So I think there something strange happening with the cms on this site.

Hi @krubens

Thanks for posting about this.

This is a known limitation when working with dynamic lists and multi reference fields as you cannot yet sort or filter by multi reference fields. We are considering adding this functionality in the future but I do not have an estimated time frame as to when this enhancement will be built out.

Feel free to post about this in our Webflow Wishlist to push the conversation forward on this feature :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

4 Likes

Oh. That came as a surprise. Strange limitation.

But thank you for the information. I’ll try and solve it in another way.

3 Likes

@krubens

I agree - I’ve been burned by this – the only option I can see is to add individual dynamic lists for each reference – but with limit of 20 per page, some designs hit this quickly.

Without an understanding client, it means a rebuild of some sort (I guess at my expense, since I recommended webflow without knowing about the inability to sort by references or the 20 dynamic list limit).

I imagine site designs that are hit by this are in the minority but it adds up to quite a serious limitation on the CMS – some designs and pretty standard data structures are simply not possible in webflow.

@brando When ‘site search’ has 700+ votes, and the total votes for this feature (split over 2 wish list items from what I can see) = 10, the wishlist is a bit dis-heartening!

2 Likes

Hi @matt50 Thanks so much for the feedback. I agree that this is an unfortunate limitation, but we are always working to improve Webflow.

Each item in the Wishlist is given a status tag. The Conditional Visibility based on reference field wishlist item is currently set to “likely to build” despite only having 15 votes thus far, which is a great sign.
There are some items with more votes that have been given the “unlikely to build” status for one reason or another. But this is a feature request that would be very useful in certain situations. More votes will only increase it’s chances :slight_smile:

@brando Thanks for the encouraging words.

For the record, I don’t think the ‘conditional visibility based on reference field’ wishlist item would do what we need here.

This seems to be the one:
https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-547

As for the workaround (using more dynamic lists), until sorting by multi-reference fields is possible, I ended up having to add a wish list item to increase the number of dynamic lists allowed as I hit the limit of 20 very quickly:
https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-90

Hi @matt50
Thanks for correcting me on that one, my apologies for the misunderstanding!

Those items are still up for review. Thanks for your patience on this feature request :bow:

Oh boy, sometimes there are unpleasant surprises in webflow.
Whatever you call it bug or missing feature it stroke me hard.
60+ hours invested just to find out that dozens of links to related information pages will be randomly floating on the product pages without possibility to sort them in any way.

@Brando can you at least clarify what is the current sort order? Is that date created? Or edited?

1 Like

Well I’m not doomed. It seems that it actually displays items in the same order as they appear in cms.
So until sorting comes into multi-reference fields on front-end, one has to watch out for sorting in CMS.
Its not possible to rearrange “pils” in CMS afterwards though, so it has to be entered in correct order.

Yes, this is one of those things that actually could make a website more user friendly and help our clients. Fun and all with interactions, but this would be more useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has this moved up in the backlog at all since 2017? cc: @cyberdave @Brando

1 Like

I have just tried to sort a collection list inside a template page and this is still not possible. I think this needs to be moved up on the priority list since it seems like it could be basic function in Designer UI to users. However, you can sort your items multi-reference field on the back end. Maybe not so easy for Webflow to add this from a software engineering standpoint and I appreciate that.

Even if I could rearrange the pills in the CMS editor that would be a manual workaround–that would take like an hour to implement as a temporary measure surely?

Being unable to sort multireference lists basically makes them useless in 50% (if not the majority) of use cases–anything where you have more than a tiny handful of items. I don’t understand how it could even have been released without this feature, let alone how three years later it hasn’t been fixed. Webflow seem to think they’ll only be used to list three or four co-authors on a blog post–they haven’t thought about all the other use cases (e.g. listing a list of publications under an author, where the author could easily have 100 publications which you would naturally want to sort by date).

1 Like

You cannot sort your multi-reference items on the back end even. The pills cannot be moved once they are added. If you are adding items over time and you don’t happen to want them at the end, you have no choice but to delete every item in the list and re-build it in the order you want.

Interesting. Thanks for the update… struggling with this too.

I wanted to throw in a solution I came up with in Vanilla JS underneath a linked list to re-order items based on their specified order value from the CMS. It works, is simple, and while it isn’t out of the box with Webflow, is an easy solution so long as you don’t mind setting a container ID and fixed className.

Mind you, I only spent about 30 minutes on this so I’m sure it can be improved upon if someone wants to go nerd-hammer on it…

#listContainer is attached to my collection container.
.hidden_order_element is attached to a hidden SPAN (DIV or whatever you want, doesn’t matter) inside the list item that contains a single dynamic string value: the order value I created with the CMS.

I placed this inside a tag in a Webflow code embed element beneath the list I want sorted.

const hiddenOrders = document.querySelectorAll('#listContainer .hidden_order_element')
hiddenOrders.forEach(orderElement => {
    const orderValue = parseInt(orderElement.innerText)
    const parentItemElement = orderElement.closest('.w-dyn-item')
    parentItemElement.style.order = orderValue
})

Works like cake.

2 Likes

@Carlos_Perez Hey I was wondering how you got these to reorder on your page? I added the data to a div and added the script. I see the collection items all now have a style=“order: #;” value but they are not reordered

Mark, May 13, 2021, you still don’t have it.

This is the reason why I’m still on WordPress

2 Likes