Navbar dropdown index link active state/highlight

Hi all –

I have dropdowns in the navbar for different sections of the site, with links to static pages under each. I would like to have it so when you are on a page in one of the sections, the appropriate dropdown index link for that section is highlighted in the navbar.

I know I’m not the only person who has asked this – I’ve combed through the previous posts trying to make it work, but I have not been able to make it work.

The share link is for a mockup page I made with just the navbar. I’m not able to share the actual site I’m working on. I hope it’s clear what I need. https://preview.webflow.com/preview/nav-demo-4e4f61?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=designer&utm_content=nav-demo-4e4f61&preview=27f12c4c0d777c731c92b2508b5bd1bf&mode=preview

Thanks!

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

1 Like

Hey @CuriousChip

You need to style the current state of the dropdown link.

Link the a page > click on the link with the current state > make your edits so the link is highlighted

Hope this is clear :webflow_heart:

Hi Piter –

Thanks for your response! I hope I was clear. It’s the dropdown toggle I am trying to have highlighted when on a page in the list of menu links below it. I’ve been able to get to the “open” state for the top-tier toggle link in the navbar and style it so that it is highlighted when the menu is open, but that does not make it be highlighted when on a page in that section when the menu is closed. As far as I’ve been able to figure out, there’s an open setting for the toggle, but not a “current” setting, or at least I haven’t been able to find a “current” setting.

In some similar forum posts about this previously, people offered various kinds of code embeds, but that went way over me, and I haven’t been able to get anything like that to work. I don’t want to have to make a separate navbar for every section on the site, just to get the index link to be highlighted! I’m hoping there’s a reasonably simple way of doing this.

I do appreciate you trying to help, and I hope I’m explaining myself clearly enough! Thanks!