Membership access to CMS

I’d like to add functionality to a webflow site that allows:

1. Users to create a free account, with the option to pay a subscription and upgrade.

2. Members who have created an account will be granted the ability to add basic text data to some text fields and submit, which then creates a new CMS item/page, which they can either keep private or choose to publish publicly, and which they can edit when and how they wish.

3. Tiered membership plans so that on the free plan, users are limited to, for example, 3 CMS items, and 20 for the paid plan etc.

Is this possible in Webflow?

You may find a solution here. Integrations | Memberships and user login | Webflow University

Webflow is planning on releasing user logins and membership shortly. Memberstack is a great alternative in the meantime.

I don’t think it’s possible to let users choose to have a public or private profile. Maybe manually.

There is no hard date for this. All we know is it is in the pipeline.

Hey folks. Yea I know about Memberstack and a few other options for memberships/subscriptions/gated content… that’s nothing new, but more importantly I’m interested in functionality that would allow members to add items to webflow’s CMS via a form. I haven’t heard of this being done before, and I contacted Memberstack to ask if it’s possible with their product but they said it’s not. I’ve asked around a bit and all people have said is to ask about it on the forums here.

It should be possible using an Airtable/Zapier combination. You can embed airtable in Webflow to collect user submissions and then use Zapier to write to Webflow CMS.

1 Like

I haven’t fully researched this yet but seems like it could be a solution!

@britishchap thank you!

1 Like

Hi @marklovin, Dozie from Memberstack here.

I thought your question was very interesting and that other people may find this useful, so I did some research following @britishchap’s suggestion. Here’s what I found for each of your requirements.

1 - Giving users the ability to create a free account with the option to pay a subscription and upgrade is definitely possible with Memberstack.

Using Memberstack you’ll be able to create Webflow pages which only members have access to. So for instance, you can create a page with an Airtable form which only users who have accounts will be able to use.

2 - Giving users the ability to add basic text data to some text fields and submit, which then creates a new CMS item/page is definitely possible using Airtable + Zapier + Webflow Zaps. I played around with this, and found out that you can even get the IDs of the created items and send these in emails to your users – which comes in handy if you want users to be able to edit pre-existing items.

See below an image of what it looks like when an item is created using the Webflow zap.

And here, below is what it looks like when I’m accessing the item’s ID to send in an email

With the Webflow Zap, users can even unpublish pre-existing items by specifying Draft to true, and there’s also the option to archive as well.

If I were to build this out, I’d probably create one form which users can use to create new items, and another which users can use to edit existing items, so users have the ability to both create and update.

3 - The most difficult requirement to accomplish though is limiting the number of items users can create based on their plan.

Assuming there was a way to limit the maximum number of form submissions to an Airtable form, an easy way to do this would have been to have one page with a form that allows just 3 submissions per person behind one Memberstack subscription, and the other page with a form that allows more submissions behind another Memberstack subscription.

The best suggestions I saw around limiting form responses were to use shifting Airtable views, or use eventbrite forms.

Short of these, if this requirement is super critical, then it may be worth accomplishing by using custom code, and a combination of Webflow’s CMS api, and Memberstack’s Front End api.

I really hope this helps move the needle forward, and I’m happy to respond to any questions :pray:t5: