Allow user to edit their own CMS data

Has anyone run into a situation where you’d like individuals to log in and edit their personal info, but should not have access to edit anything else? I’m building a website for an accelerator which has mentors. I’d like mentors to be able to log in, view their info, and edit things like title, headshot, background, and more. I certainly don’t want them to be able to modify other mentor’s info and most definitely not other website elements.

Thoughts?

John

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

With Memberstack you can build gated content. Maybe worth a try:

https://help.memberstack.io/builders/webflow

Awesome. Thank you. I have yet to dig in, but is there a zap or something that can push/pull data from the webflow CRM (that you know of)?

Any updates on this? Planning to do something similar.

Holta

1 Like

@Jackovin & @Holta yep, this is 100% doable.

Here is a couple of quick screencasts of mine walking through exactly how to do this, my example is with a commenting system, but trivially retooled as a profile management system (as you’ve described):

1 Like

Is this really not possible in WebFlow natively? I’ve been building a test site for a couple weeks as I learn WF and I unfortunately assumed that any fields in my Collections could be dropped onto a page so that my user’s can input data into the Collection. This is Not Good if that’s the not case. And, even though I’m an experienced developer, no, tying another platform like MemberStack/ Zapier into WebFlow just so I can allow editing of data is not going to happen. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself about WebFlow can respond and clear this up.

No, not really. Though they are getting closer now with Webflow Logic / Memberhips.

If you use a CMS Collection Page you can read that data. Those pages are special and bind to that specific Collection. You can also do that on a static page via a Collection List element.

But… that’s a read operation, there is no CRUD out of the box with Webflow.

That’s not traditionally been Webflow’s purpose. Again, things are getting closer but not there yet.

If you want to create, update, or delete data from your CMS via a Webflow page, you’ll either need your own backend solution or use a 3rd party, currently.

The exception to all of this is Webflow Memberships where they have started this process, but it’s outside of the CMS and isolated in a different datastore (the users datastore) and constrained to one page, the account page.

1 Like