How to differentiate CMS collection fields on unique Template pages and add more items

Hi!

I’m creating my portfolio from a template and all of the CMS collection fields are used. I’m trying to add more text and images/videos in the specific project template page, but they are repeated on all
project template pages. To fix this, do I make more components, or bring in properties?

Thanks!

Here is my public share link: [LINK]]
(how to access public share link)

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 3.13.16 PM

Hi Katie,

Think of the elements on your CMS “template” page as static elements and dynamic elements. Dynamic elements are the ones that are bound to CMS item fields- which appear with a purple outline.

Anything dynamic will be different on each collection item page. Anything static will appear the same, because it’s just a static part of the template.

In the CMS plan, you’re limited to 30 fields per collection, which loosely means you can have a maximum of 30 dynamic elements on your collection page.

You can upgrade to the business plan to get a maximum of 60.

Typically, if you were designing something like a blog or product page, you’d lean into the Rich Text element which is a composite element that allows text, images, video all within a single field. It can be heavily extended using tools like Finsweet’s Powerful Rich Text and Refokus Rich Text Enhancer.

If you have structured sub-sections of your page ( like a City collection with ATM locations ), then you can place collection lists onto your cms template page, to bind in other linked content.

Looking at your design though, I don’t see obvious easy-to-use structural patterns that make either rich text or subordinate collection lists an obvious strategy. Possible, yes, but it would add coding and administrative complexity for little benefit.

I’d probably recommend that either you switch to the business plan for 60 fields, or that you reconsider designing these specific pages in the CMS. If you only have say 20 of them, they may just work better as static pages.

1 Like

Hello Michael! This was immensely helpful! I think it’s a choice whether or not to downsize the fields or start over and create my own flow and site. (I’d rather not tie a new site because I have analytics and other data collection/DNS already on it.) I chose a template so it could be hopefully easier. I should definitely go over my content and how I’d like to present. Thank you so much for the solutions!

Migrating from dynamic to static wouldn’t exactly be “fun”, but it gives you 100% versatility in your layouts, and looks like it might be the right choice in your situation.

You would not need to lose those stats or SEO, you can use the same URLs if you switch from a collection to a folder arrangement.

It’s a solid day of work though to create those new layouts and copy-paste the content over.

1 Like

I’ve decided to make a new site from scratch with more control), how would you suggest I switch over the stats? Am I able to switch the current live site to a non-live? I’m okay with ‘messing up’ the analytics because the templated site is still behind a password.

Oh, nevermind, I’ll contact webflow! Thank you for all of your help, Michael!

You can use conditional visibility