Customizable Products or assign Formulardata(ID) with a sale

Hello all,
I’m currently working on a small but nice online service and can’t get over a hurdle right now.
I think this is a use case where some would stumble over it, so maybe interesting for others.

Use case:

1. website visitor (no gated content) uploads some documents via a form.
  2. (hurdle) This form data must be linked in a “purchase process” with a product or better said Sale (Webflow E-Commerce Pro). So that I can associate the form data created before the checkout with the sale in the backend.
  3. you can guess the rest. I “produce” the “(digital)product” based on the form data and the customer receives a personalized download link.

Idea is to give the submitted form data after submit an ID (within the session) and then give this to the “Checkout” or already at the “Add to Cart”. …but how?!

Unfortunately Webflow out of the box doesn’t offer the possibility to individualize a product by the customer (free text or with document uploads).

Does anyone know a workaround? Or a completely different solution suggestion?

I need to somehow manage to assign the form data to the sale after checkout. Currently I write the rest of the form data into an Airtable base.

Any ideas?

Greets from Germany
Andreas

Ideally, you’d flip the process- collect the order first, then you have an order to attach your upload to. You could do that fairly well through the API, e.g.;

• User orders
  • An automation ( Make, Zapier, Logic(?) ) triggers on that new order
  • Send an email to client with a special link in it, containing the order id
  • Customer click link, goes to a hidden page on the site, where they can upload files, the order id is captured

A next-best-case is to have the user create an account first. That way their uploads can be associated to a user, which gives them some meaningful persistance. However Membership BETA doesn’t yet make it easy to do that ( capture the logged in user in a form submit ), so you’d need to use MemberStack, or another auth approach. Google login might actually work for this, if you can get the email of the authorized user.

But let’s take your approach literally;

• In the upload form, collect the email address of the user
  • Submit that somewhere, with the uploads to your back-end data store, e.g. Airtable
  • At checkout, collect email as well
  • Have checkout create an order in Airtable as well, using automation

Now you can find orders with files, and orders without files, and files without orders, as long as those emails match up.

This solution isn’t ideal if e.g. the user might submit multiple orders over time.

I have to say though, if your only store item is to purchase one service, I’d probably use a different payment approach than Webflow Commerce. I’d probably go directly from the upload-files step to a payment step using a Stripe integration, or even Paypal or Windcave, something that makes it possible to pass in an ID. That way I can more easily associate the uploaded files with the payment.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the answer. I am still pursuing another solution. I am trying to add an ID to the checkout process via a cookie. As soon as I solve this I will reply with a ready solution.

Let me know if you succeed, I’m curious to know if the custom info fields can be populated with script, hidden with CSS, and still deliver through neatly into the order processing system.

1 Like

I’ll definitely report back when I’ve solved it. As it currently looks, it’s possible.

@andreasnachtigall @memetican
hey guys,
im facing the exact same problem.
i need to pass a custom field that the user will submit per order to the api.

currently looking at the zapier webhook integration. do you know if the data about the item is accecible from the new order trigger? having no orders yet i cant test the new order trigger and see exactly what data i have access to.

do we have access to additional info the user passes in the checkout form? maybe if we limit the amount of items per order to one we can get it going with the data from the checkout.

this is how i see the data from the order, would love to get some input about how it looks after having live orders.

have a great day :slight_smile: