Cross-Domain Redirects

Hoping someone can help advise on how to achieve cross-domain redirects within Webflow.

Our company has a website (www.site.ly) within Webflow. We have done a new website separately in the same workspace, and want to change this to www.site.io. We are puzzled on the steps we need to take to get the .ly website traffic to move over to our .io traffic.

First thought was to create redirect links, but then found that Webflow doesn’t support cross-domain redirects like this. Second thought was to add this to our DNS settings, but we can only setup CNAME in our platform, Azure.

We have a mix of just redirecting the domain, and then a few pages of path-specific redirects too. For example:

www.site.ly → www.site.io
www.site.ly/aboutwww.site.io/about**-us**

Has anyone done anything similar to this that can provide guidance on how to achieve what we are looking for? Thank you so much in advance!

I would just set up a web server with NGINX or Apache and then let that handle all your redirects to your new site. It has worked for me.

Jeff’s approach is by far the cleanest, but comes with some technical work.
If you have a lot of redirects, or anything complex or “competing”, I’d recommend you reach out to Jeff to help you set that up.

If your redirects are few, and simple, you should be able to do this internally with WF redirects;

• Add both domains to your site
  • Setup redirects internally, e.g. /about/about-us

This only works for non-competing redirect maps. If your old site has an /about and your new site has an /about and they’re two different pages on the new site, they would be competing for the /about redirect, and you’d need to handle this externally instead, as Jeff’s solution does.

Thanks for your response! If we were to connect the two domains to the site, would we still select the “new” domain to be the default domain? I believe our redirects are very straightforward so it should be able to work with how you explained.

Is there a good explanation on how this works? For myself and anyone else who is confused… if the www.site.ly and www.site.io are setup on our site, how does the traffic automatically route someone coming from www.site.ly to the www.site.io domain?

Yes, the default domain is the one you want everything to resolve to, e.g. www.newdomain.com

I’ve not seen one so I’ve written up one for you here;