Building a basic directory type website

Hi all, new user to Webflow.

My company is building a directory-type website (for example, a directory showing all the community parks in california).

Is this something you would recommend building in Webflow? I am not experienced with web design but I can pick it up fairly easily. There would need to be a state page, city page, search bar and then a page displaying the name of the park, address, the hours of operation and a google map of the area.

I built something very similar in Squarespace but it is using static pages. I want to take advantage of CMS so I can easily add a park in the editor by typing in the relevant info then auto populating the page for me, instead of in Squarespace where I duplicate a template page and fill in the info by hand.

Thanks!

Hi

Us the advantage of the CMS inside webflow for easier process. The CMS is so powerful so you can invest your time in Design although you are not experience with design :slight_smile:

Webflow is a great tool for building directory sites!

I highly recommend you check out this video tutorial here: Curated directory like Nomad List

1 Like

Awesome. I will, I appreciate the advice!!!

I had a look at your video
Makerpad Tutorial - Curated directory like Nomad List

Looks nice but I don’t think it really answers Greg’s question. I apologise if I misunderstood something but when I think of a directory website I think of something packed with loads of functionality like the ability to signup for an account, email confirmations, user notifications so visitors can send listing owners messages, claiming prebuilt listings, users paying to add new business listing via the frontend, etc, etc,…

I am looking into using Memberstack and Airtable but it’s all a bit much with lots of moving parts.

I guess my question is whether or not WordPress would be a better solution for a membership directory.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to discussing this further.

In the past I have used Brilliant Directories with decent-ish results. I then tried using the Crocoblock plugin for Wordpress. Now I am trying to do it with Webflow. Fingerscrossed!

On Webflow, I think you will also need Memberstack and Airtable and Zapier or Integromat. Early days. I am still exploring.

Hi Hubert!

The main problem I’ve come across with Webflow is the 10,000 CMS item limit. I am now trying to find a solution around that. Platform Wizard and Airtable are something I have a guy helping me out looking into right now.

My main goal is to use webflow as the designer for the looks, and to avoid the 10k limit, using the other stuff to feed the data into webflow. But I’m very non-technical and still can’t wrap my brain around the solution. Let me know what you come up with.

My directory website isn’t really that advanced but it has some interesting unique elements.

Just curious to know if you found a way around the 10k limit. I just took the business plan for a project that has 7.5k companies but the limitation prevents me from having a collection for each establishments (some companies having two or three)…

Hi, did you manage to get this sorted?
Trying to build a director website with over 2500 companies.

Would appreciate any input.