Beta feedback: Audit panel

Really helpful feature.

1 Like

Hey @jonreese, we definitely agree that this audit could be more clear. :+1:

I’m curious how you are using empty link blocks to better understand the scenario. Do you mind explaining either here or sending me a direct message? Ignoring :mute: the audit may be the right choice, but I’d like to understand the context.

Also for everyone reading this, ignoring and audit is non-destructive. Meaning the audit is still there if you want to revisit it at a later time, it just becomes less prominent to allow focusing on the other issues.

The Audit Panel looks for issues on the current page. In the future, it will be able to perform site-wide audits as well.

For alt-text, if adding it to the asset that is a site-wide fix for any instances of the asset that are set to pull the al-text from the asset.

Hey team!
I would love for my editors to be able to see the panel in the editor. Accessibility is a top priority and I’ve created CMS items in such a way that optional/required image fields have an associated alt-text field for editors to fill out.

With the optional fields, it gets more difficult to catch errors, but an editor with the audit panel could quickly check their work, and hold designer’s accountable.

My idea is to have the audit panel below the publish button - just like in the designer.

Needs audit panel -like in designer

YES!!! Absolutely keep the audit panel and keep up the amazing work, you all rock!

1 Like

It’s a great feature. Thank you.
Two comments:

1. After I fixed the issue, I expect the comments to disappear or changed to V.
  2. I got a comment saying a link needs descriptive text, and unlink descriptive text for an image, I can’t find where to add the descriptive text to a link.

I assume the shortcut on Windows would be Ctrl+Shift+X for X-Ray…but it doesn’t work? Is it my QWERTZ keyboard layout?

So much about accessibility :sweat_smile:

OK here’s my two cents. What I think WF’s audit panel is referring to is the ARIA label. The aria-label attribute is used to define a string that labels the current element. Used in cases where a text label is not visible on the screen. What I’m finding is is that when I use a Link block and use a background or HTML Embed to populate the Link Block the audit panel thinks that the Link Block/Div does not contain any useful element to define a label. I have added a custom attribute to the Link Block ex:
But the audit panel does not recognize this as a fix, even after publishing.

I would recommend either using a webflow button component, or add an actual element inside the Link Block that can have its own alt tag. Hopefully that shines a brighter light on you initial question.

1 Like

I stumbled on an issue with that : the Audit panel is seeing alt text as missing when it’s defined in Asset details. But the alt text is actually there…

Hey @Pasint, this is a known bug concerning SVG assets on older projects. Thanks for reporting it.

Until a fix is released, the options are to ignore the audit by clicking the :no_bell: bell icon or uploading a new version of the asset and replacing instances of the old version. The second option may be very time consuming depending on how often the asset is used, so my suggestion would be to ignore the audit for now. Ignored audits can be restored at any time, but when a fix is released the audits will resolve themselves automatically whether they’re ignored or not.

Please keep all feedback and bug reports coming. I appreciate it.

Cheers
—Matthew

1 Like

I like the new panel. It’s helpful for sure.

1 Like

how do I rename my website

@brjohnson Hi Barett, Just a quick bit of feedback on the Audit Beta:

This may only apply to first time users of the feature; when in preview mode; Publish menu; clicking on the Audit CTA is allowed, but it does nothing.

May confuse some users who don’t know to switch back to Designer mode, then click it.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.38.16 am

Thank you @pi_ron for reporting that bug!

1 Like

Hey @TheJaxattack if you go to your project’s settings then follow these steps. Hope that helps.

1. Rename the project and/or subdomain
  2. Save the changes
  3. Publish the project

Happy to be of service, the Audit feature has been fantastic for keeping standards up.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! Please let us know if you have any ideas for future audits that would benefit your workflow.

LOVE THIS … Speaking as more of a WordPress designer than Dev, I’m good in public HTML and all that, CSS, HTML, MY SQL, PHP Work, LocalHost WAMP, Etc Etc, But only on that surface level of things. So, if I really put my head down and made it my focus to go all the way, I could soon enough hard code sites straight up over there. Problem is, I can’t, no time for that. I wore all the hats of a marketing agency for 2 multi-million-dollar businesses after 6 years of growing them and had only just put an agency together because it grew far too large for one person to manage … long story short, it didn’t work out, because of a client, or my own ignorance in relation to “CONTRACTS” DUH! He would not pay enough to get done what needed doing I/E. pay a team.

Never again will one get me like that again … anyway. This is not about him. I’m glad it happened because now I’m here, with the time and a nice stack of money left thank God. Learning how to even better my end product and this feature if it could go as far as I hope it goes in the end, would be just too good. I’m here to learn how to hard code this is the end game or learn it well enough to know what needs to be outsourced, exactly, and what I can do. As an agency owner obviously, I could hire people far better than I, but still, I love this world, career, because it’s the ultimate chess game to me. Especially as an SEO. This CMS is already incredible and will serve me to that end. So, anything that makes the process quicker is going to be very nice! lol Because it enables me to learn how to hard code WP Sites in an “in the game” way. Instead of having to straight-up take coding classes, or just continue to hack Google for answers and figure it out = back of the buss, and then who’s driving because I’m solo again.

So, I have time and can do this now. It’s therefore a win-win for me to make my first site ever over here my own agency’s site, the first I’ve ever built because again I have never had the time. So, one door closes another opens that involves work, as do all goods things in life. Let’s go! CSV can piss off now also. That is the other reason why I’m so grateful to have found Webflow. Wicked performance, and WP COMPATIBLE CODE EXPORT = I will acquire a deeper understanding of code to say pro level, that’s fine for me. I’ll hire experts :sunglasses:

Hi @matthewpmunger I’m not sure it’s the right place for this, but as we discussed this topic here, it might be that the Audit tool is ok, and that the problem is with pulling the alt text from the asset manager.
When looking to improve SEO on a recent project, I stumbled on that same problem again. Alt text is defined in the image manager in Webflow, but not visible in the HTML of the published site. Check this out:

Hey @Pasint glad to talk about it here. From the screenshot, I can’t tell which image on the left is highlighted in the inspector. I can tell that it is being declared as a decorative image with a null or empty alt.

• If it is the icon above “contactez moi” then that should be decorative as it doesn’t provide any context or meaning to the page. It’s a visual element.
  • If it is the image with a person, then that should have a descriptive alt text.

If you can share the project’s read-only link, I’ll gladly take a closer look.