Add and Update Live Item with Google Sheets

Hi everyone,
I was reading through the forum about Zapier integration that could help me update live items once a Google Sheets is updated but I’m a bit confused.

Here’s what I want to achieve: Create or Update live item every time Google Sheet add or update a row.

My plan:

1. Add a row
  2. Create a Live Item
  3. Retrieve Live Item ID
  4. Update row with Live Item ID so I can reference it later
  5. Edit row
  6. Update item since I have a Live Item ID now

What I’m struggling with is #3 and #4

How can I actually retrieve Live Item ID with Zapier AND update the right row in Sheets?

I know I have to use API but a step by step help would be ideal or at least what kind of Zapier I have to use to get those two steps up and running.

3 Likes

Hi, @skacperski! I’ll make a video for you this weekend to show you how to accomplish this!

3 Likes

hi, do you have the video ? :smiley:

Video on this would be awesome! Please let me know when this is up.

Hi, @lemundibu and @MadeByMarius!

Here’s a link for you! :webflow_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you Riley. However, I’m trying to submit items first to the google sheet > update Webflow and later update items on the google sheet and have that update Webflow.

You submit an item from Webflow to google sheets which gives you the ID and makes it easier to update items on google sheets once you have an ID…

The problem is that since im first posting content to the google sheet, so I won’t have a Webflow ID.
Planning on watching your youtube video on getting IDs via postman, but please let me know if there’s anyway we can start adding content to google sheets first and than still being up able to update that content later…

Thank you !

1 Like

I figured it out! It took 1 Google sheet with 2 tabs and 2 Zaps. Here is how I did it, in case it helps anyone else…

I created 1 google sheet doc, with two tabs.
Tab 1 - to import/add new content
Tab 2 - where I can update the content on Webflow

ZAP 1 - ADD CONTENT & GET ID’s

Google sheet - Trigger - Create row
Pulls in new content that I add to Tab 1 in the google sheet.
+
Webflow - Action - Create live item
Displays the content on Webflow
+
Google sheet - Action - Create row
Webflow sends the item ID to Tab 2 so if I ever have to update the content I can.

ZAP 2 - UPDATE CONTENT FROM GOOGLE TO WEBFLOW
Now to update content I created another Zap-

Google sheet - Trigger - Create or Update Row
Any changes to the content in Tab 2 gets sent to Webflow, but all these rows have assigned IDs that Webflow sent back from my earlier zap.
+
Webflow - Action - Update live item
This displays the updated item.

So far its working well… (PS: updates for some reason take like 5m to trigger)

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

You can actually do this without even using Zapier or CMS (although w/ CMS is easier with multiple spreadsheets) with the Google Sheets API.

Here is a cloneable example of data coming from just a Google Sheet into Webflow. Google Sheets and Chart.js - Webflow

Google Sheet used: Twitter - Google Sheets

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Hi OCGo- Can you elaborate a bit more on the process you used? I’d like to try this with a regular spread sheet, though it looks like Google has a new API v 4 that requires a validator key from google console. It looks like google is phasing out v3 soon.

You bet. You’re right about v3.

There are a lot of options for this depending on what type of data you’re looking to use.

The easiest way will be using sheetsu (https://github.com/sheetsu/docs/blob/master/source/includes/_introduction.md).

Easy to setup, good documentation and free to start.

Here is a step by step explanation if you want to do it yourself. https://www.orangecattle.com/post/auto-populate-live-data-into-webflow-w-google-sheets

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

I will definitely check it out, thanks for sharing! I am in a project right now where some products require detailed spec sheets, with each product a different set of requirements. No way to template it efficiently and creating a collection means constraining data to a specific format.

Instead I’d like to have it dynamically pull spreadsheets as needed.

Gotcha. Yeah sheetsu should work for that. You would just need to create separate spreadsheet API’s in their dashboard (for different variations).

Another workaround is using Firebase and Zapier to dynamically pull the Google spreadsheet data.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, after trying for a bit it works perfectly fine for me.
Any idea if there is a possibility to delete entries/rows in the Google sheet and also delete the entries in Webflow CMS?

Hi everyone !

I would like to integrate a number from a GoogleShit to my webflow website (it would be like a counter) but I have no CMS and I export my webflow to wordpress via udesly

Would you know if and how it would be possible ? @OCGo any idea ?

Thank you so much for your help !

Maud

Hey @OCGo I’ve looked at your cloned project and read your documentation, however, what I’m trying to do is update a CMS collection directly using your method. How do I do that?

Hi @MadeByMarius.

I’m trying to perform the same task as you, do you have any post detailing how you built this flow in the zapier and how you synchronized the spreadsheet?

I would appreciate it if I could share more.

Thanks.

This is super helpful - thank you OCGgo

Hi @MadeByMarius - in the steps for ZAP 1 you state that “webflow sends the item ID to tab 2”. Would you be able to clarify how you got webflow to send this information back to the spreadsheet?

Thanks, much appreciated

I want to skip the form submission. I want to update a row on google sheets everytime an item is entered manually/directly on to webflow CMS.

I am confused how to do this. Any way I can get a video or help with this?