Zapier to Update Live item with an Multi Reference Field | Error Validation Failure

Hi,

I already watched some good tutorials from @rileyrichter and @MackenzieChild , but in my case their solutions didn´t work.

So here is my case.

I would like to update a CMS live item with an array into a multi reference field. I read it should be possible with [ … ] brackets und " … " around the ID.

So I did that with the normal Action in Zapier by Webflow and with a Custom Request.

Both didn´t work for me.

Here is a screenshot of what my custom request look like. I tried the Method PUT, POST and PATCH but with all I get the error.

I also tried this in Integromat and there I get the same error.

Hope you guys have an idea what I can try next

Thanks
Jan

Oh I got the solution

I was taking to Kevin Guebert on twitter. He wrote an article about that topic so I tought he could probalby help me. Here is the article: https://kevinguebert.com/articles/updating-multi-reference-fields-with-zapier-webflow

He gave me the following tipp: “So my first thought would be something that we think is happening by default but isn’t. There are some small gotchas that happen with API requests - in object/collection item, what are your required fields? is it only name?”

So I double checked that.

In webflow it’s not only name as an required field … it`s “slug” also.

In my case I tried to fill in slug a field from airtable before but at that try there was a difference between the airtable-slug and the webflow-slug.

So I changed that and it works now.

I was getting this same validation error for an entire day.

The slug, as @jan-hallopodcaster mentioned, was one problem I ran into. At some point, the multi-reference field I was trying to get data into was renamed, but even if you rename a field, the slug will always be the one that was created when the field was first created. You can use the Postman app to connect to the API & confirm that the slug of that field is correct. Here’s a tutorial on how to use it .

But even after fixing the slug issue, I was still getting the validation error. I finally realized that my Item ID’s were not the same as the ones in my custom “Item ID” field (if you’re following @MackenzieChild 's tutorial, you’ll know what I’m talking about). The reason the Item ID’s were all incorrect was because I had cloned the project, and when that happens, Webflow creates new ID’s for everything. After I went through and copy/pasted all of the correct Item ID’s into the custom field, everything worked.

I hope this helps someone!