Website load times - remove unused pages?

Hey friends,

I’ve launched my first project, the website for my agency. And I’m curious if the unused (not live) pages within my theme could be slowing down the website load times.

I purchased a theme (website template) and it came with loads of other pages (brilliant - it helped speed up my build time). But what do I do with them if they’re not being used? This is what I mean: Monosnap

I have a homepage, services page, about me page and a blog section. So do I really need all these other pages?

After running a SpeedInsights test from Google, I see the mobile site at 53. Which seems really low considering I’ve reduce image sizes. The “Contentful Paint” looks to be the biggest issues. But after reading what this is, I’m still confused. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Here’s the screenshot from Google: Monosnap

And the link to my website if anyone needs it: https://rapportmatters.com/

Thank you,

Hey @Kellan_Hannah in my opinion other pages can’t slow down your load score. In most cases to optimize your page you should convert images and use svg where you can. If you use analytics it also slow down your page.

Thank you @maciejkociela, I didn’t know images can also be svg format. I thought it was just for illustrations/graphics.

I’ll try that and see what the new page score is.

Cheers,

Images no, I mean icons/graphics. That’s why I wrote as you can :slight_smile:

While the extra pages shouldn’t have an effect on site speed, the extra JS and CSS used within those pages may be adding a fair amount of bulk to the project.

To clean things up a bit, I’d duplicate the project (to keep a backup of these elements for future use), delete any unused pages on your live site, then clean up both your styles and interactions in the Designer:

image image

Keep in mind that if you still have elements in the project that use these styles or interactions, the “Clean Up” function won’t remove those styles/interactions—so removing the unnecessary content and pages is necessary beforehand.

2 Likes

@Kellan_Hannah

I may suggest running your images through tinypng.com, and then replace the compressed for web versions in webflow.

Go to GTMETRIX and download the compresssed asset directly from them too. Pick the better of the two (tiny png or gtmetrix compressed)

Resize assets in canva.com then reprocess those resized assets on tinypng.

Also dont forget to set up LAZY LOAD on images:

If you have any Hidden DIV blocks, remove them or duplicate them to another page.

Defer lower priority Scripts in Google Tag manager

Make custom page specific ‘<’ head ‘>’ and ‘<’ /body ‘>’ rules, and remove non-usuable scripts from pages that don’t need them.

Look at console and look for any loading shinanigans you can fix

Look for any funky business with external sources, sometimes you can append the script with custom perams or code to reduce load

Look at paint performance in console, usually you can diagnose any thing that takes a long time to load

On Google Page Speed insights, I usually improved some scores be using seperate image files on Mobile (smaller or dpi) and Desktop (larger, non-dpi) viewport modes.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tips @mikeyevin. I’ll try this.

Brilliant! Really appreciate this info @miekwave. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,