Using Webflow while being fully GDPR compliant - a proof of concept

Dear webflow family,

due to european legal reasons (GDPR) some of our customers are insecure about webflow hosting. We wanted a solution where we could still design and develop with webflow but not be bound to the hosting.

What was our idea?
Download all the content from webflow and put it on a webserver located in europe.

The approach
Using the node library website-scraper (website-scraper - npm) we download the page, when the site is published. After successfully downloading the page we use Github Actions to upload all the content we just downloaded.

This is what we did and we can present our proof of concept here:

In the project you find the README, which explains in detail which steps are needed to make it work.

How does it work?
Webflow gives the option to integrate a webhook on publish. We wrote a small PHP script which authenticates the user on Github and runs the Github workflow. The workflow then runs the scraper and uploads the changes to your server.

Example
We used our script to scrape F’insweet’s Client First Template 1 (https://fs-template-1.webflow.io/). The result can be seen here: https://scraper.bergwerk.dev/. If you check the source code we managed to download jQuery, assets and sitemap.xml.

What doesn’t work (out of the box)

Summary
We know this is not an easy topic. Also it will increase the cost of your website hosting, since you not only need a payed plan on webflow, but you also need a webhosting package. Additionally you have to set up this script for every site, which increases costs. We just wanted to do some r&d on possible solutions and this is what we came up with.

Soooo… what is your opinion on this solution, i am looking forward for feedback!

4 Likes

There is already a way better easier concept: @konnisoelch https://stacket.app

Which requires absolute NO-CODE, Forms will work, and offers Next-Generation Performance features such as Automatically Webp or AVIF.

Anyone wants watch a short video “how to setup” (without to touch code) look into the description of here Export your Webflow Site to GitHub Automated, Export CMS and WebP Images .

3 Likes

Disclaimer: I am a colleague of @konnisoelch, so I know the underlying thoughts very well.

@flashsites: This looks extremely promising, actually exactly the solution we were looking for or what we had in mind with the proof of concept that @konnisoelch published. We will definitely test it right away.

We did not know your solution until now. We have also researched in this direction a few weeks ago (probably before your announcement) and have found nothing in this direction. That’s why we have sat down on it build this POC. But I think it’s great that we are probably not the only ones who think in this direction, so the approach seems to be confirmed.

A question that is of course also interesting in this context and that we have asked ourselves: How is this compliant with Webflow terms of use? There it says “You may not use any “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider” or other automatic device …”

We answered it like this: To use CMS items or editors (we need them in almost every project), you need at least the CMS plan anyway. So it’s more like an add on and you don’t take anything away from webflow?

@flashsites what is your view on this question?

Yeah the solution is searching everyone. I think it is a big game changer for webflow and already tons of people take advantage of it.

Yes, looks like I need to improve SEO haha.

Regarding ToS, it is compliant yes. It act’s like an user browser that goes to an webflow site and visits the different pages to view them. Nothing special about it.

We answered it like this: To use CMS items or editors (we need them in almost every project), you need at least the CMS plan anyway. So it’s more like an add on and you don’t take anything away from webflow?

Yes sure you need a CMS plan. The solution do not re-create any structure or anything. But there are some tricks what you could do.

• You could have a CMS site and then cancel it. Once you see all the pages in GitHub you can just edit them and copy locally (if this is okay for you). This way you can save the CMS plan costs.
    But it is not for everybody.

• For static websites if you could cancel the plans and just export through stacket, the custom code will not appear in webflow anymore but will still be executed :smiley: . Also, custom code at every page. A big cost saving.

I am definitely not a legal expert, but I guess that this is simply a gray area. Probably you use a headless chrome (puppeteer) or similar and then it is somehow still a scraper or bot im my opinion. In the end, it’s probably just a matter of interpretation.

We don’t really put any energy into is the issue because of saving costs with it. Having a payed site plan for each website is completely ok, for us it’s really all about solving the GDPR issue.

Everything legal :smiley:

I think that is simply a matter of opinion.

We have just contacted Webflow support out of interest.

The support says the following:

You can use the Stacket application.
I searched internally and the application has been discussed but nothing has came up about violating the terms of use.

Simply also for others, who come across this entry here later.

Thanks again for the great work and your tool.

1 Like

Sure, yeah :slight_smile: its all good :slight_smile: .

1 Like