Subscription based website - online courses

Hello everyone.
I know this issue has been discussed before, but i’m not sure what’s the most updated answer.

I need to implement a subscription-based website. The website will contain online courses for subscribers, so a user login system is needed as well.
I would like to enable the user to renew and cancel his subscription and the on-line course should be restricted for the user’s exclusive watching.

In your opinion, what’s the best way to implement this?

Thank you,
Naama.

Hey @Naama

There is really only two ways to achieve this, (1) hire a developer to build out the functionality (2) use an platform designed to manage subscriptions etc. I believe you could pretty easily attach this functionality, and it would vary in complexity depending on the platform you use.

Here’s some from a quick google search:

https://ott.vimeo.com/ - Seems really good if it’s video content
https://memberful.com/
http://www.subbly.co/

Hopefully one of these suit your needs!

@Naama @Thomas_92

If you hire a dev:

Write your specs/requirements
Create your product
Buy & setup a custom domain
Design, build & host a website
Find & setup a video hosting platform
Find & setup a content hosting platform
Find & setup a billing plugin/ecommerce
Find & setup email marketing software
Start selling

If you go with a platform that’s pre built, (better for sites hosted by a solo-preneur with no dev background and a small budget) :

Here’s a platform that I really want to try out :slight_smile:

PM me for more help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Naama.
I just replied to your email, but I wanted to post here as well to update the Webflow community.

Our team is currently working on a couple of options for memberships in Webflow. There’s no eta, but this is something that is super important to us and is actively being worked on.

We’ll be posting any updates here in the Webflow forum. Also, you can subscribe to receive Foxy + Webflow updates here.

Feel free to message me if you have any follow up questions or specific needs.

Thanks,
Josh

2 Likes

Fact: Josh never sleeps.

3 Likes

Robots don’t sleep. :robot:

2 Likes

Has there been any updates or outcomes from this post? I want to add a membership subscription to the education website template I was able to purchase from Webflow, but not sure if the password per page, is the method you have allowed for membership subscriptions to happen within the designer?

I’m really interested in Gumroad or Memberful, as an alternative.

Sincerely,

Christopher

Quick update: We plan to have customer portal/membership functionality for platforms like Webflow at least ready for private beta this quarter, possibly Q2. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you’re interested in being a beta tester.

Thanks,
Josh

3 Likes

Fyi

1 Like

Hey Folks, is there any update on this. We are looking to create a subscription solution and would hate to go with a 3rd party option if Webflow was close to announcing a Beta.

Any heads up on timing would be really, really helpful :pray:t3:
-A

Call me a cynic, but I don’t see Webflow releasing the membership functionality anytime soon.

I’m planning on doing a Webflow/Memberstack site soon. Here is a recent set of videos from Mackenzie Child that walks you through it, might be of use.

3 Likes

Based on what is up and coming from the Webflow World Tour, I’ll happily eat my words. They ‘announced’ that membership is on it’s way. Hopefully soon!

2 Likes

@Alcon - I didn’t attend the events, but am seeing the mention of a roadmap…Was there any indication at all what ‘soon’ might mean? Right at the beginning of the roadmap or further down the road?
Thank you so much for the heads up. Much Appreciated!
Astha

Hi Astha, no indication of timescales.

I watched this yesterday which I think you’ll find useful. Gives a good summary of what was covered.

Thank you for sharing!!!

Seeing the level at which it was shared, and then thinking back to the ecommerce rollout…this feels a year out to me :frowning:

Honestly don’t know but perhaps it may be tied to e-commerce only, so people can log in to check order status etc. Seems a sensible first step.