Publishing to Staging ONLY with Logic flows

So I’ve found out that once you have Logic Flows setup then you can’t publish just to Staging anymore.

This is causing an issue now as I require the staging site to be an approval tool for new content. Setting up multiple admin/editors to view in designer/editor preview mode is not an option, as there are multiple stakeholders involved in the approval process.

Has anyone found a workaround, or know if this is will be a future feature?

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

9 Likes

This is actually my #1 barrier to using Logic in client projects. I haven’t found any suitable workaround on this issue either.

1 Like

This renders logic completely unusable imo. A massive oversight on Webflow’s part, and crazy that they didn’t ship an update at the recent webflow conf that would address this.

Also strange that this issue is getting so little attention. Does everyone using logic just not publish to staging anymore?

1 Like

According to the official announcement, neither Logic or Memberships will be getting any updates for the foreseeable future. Around April this year the teams were repurposed to other projects and the products were released “as-is.”

IMO they’re likely creating more harm than benefit to the Webflow community because people think memberships and automation are feature-complete, fully-debugged subsystems in the Webflow framework. In their current setup, the use-cases they can be successfully applied to are very limited.

1 Like

Ah, so it’s not only me - I thought I was going crazy. I contacted Webflow Support about it and after some back and forth their conclusion was:

Hi Albert,

Thank you for coming back to me!

Yes, that’s correct, given that you have Logic in use on your site you cannot publish to individual domains, you will need to publish to ALL domains in order for the flows to stay enabled and active.

Even if you change a small style change or content change, the same applies because you have Logic in use on the site.

Logic requires all domains to be published to, regardless of how big or small the changes are to the site and if they are Logic related or not.

My suggestion prior was for testing Flows privately, however, in this instance I see it’s the matter of any changes on the site as a whole which does require full publishing to all domains.

Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,
Chris

I agree it’s pretty much useless to keep this in production then. Problem is, by the time I figured it out, I already had 10 flows in production (some form-based flow, but still), my mistake…

2 Likes

I feel your pain. When Logic beta was announced, I was all in, the team building it was fantastic and had a phenomenal vision for where this would be in 2-3 years time. Brilliant plans, but they’re closeted for now.

I think Localization, basic system improvements, and maybe even AI were a big reason for Webflow’s decision to sideline these projects. That and probably a strategy pivot towards better integration for 3rd party app providers which I fully approve of as well.

1 Like

I’m shocked… If what Michael Wells states is true then these functionalities will indeed do more harm than good. Frustrating to figure this out after I pushed for logic in a major client project.

1 Like

This is crazy! I see the logic in trying to fix/build other features as well, but this really invalidates a important and fundamental feature. They can’t expect any freelancer to build a site and let the client know we can’t ever test it again. “We just have to go straight from my laptop to production from now on! Sorry!”

Honestly, we literally can’t change the default email of forms with out irrevocably destroying our ability to let our clients approve our changes (as far as I understand, the only way to change the default behavior of forms is to use logic, unless I’m missing something).

If this tool is built for freelancers, we need need to have a voice in something like this… This isn’t just a nice to have feature, it’s a reason to stop using Webflow all together. For a company focused on this demographic, I would expect them to understand this.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth it for everyone in this thread and everyone who finds this thread to request this ask a wishlist request on https://wishlist.webflow.com/

I doubt this will change anything with the project I was going to use Webflow next month :upside_down_face:, but if enough people request it, hopefully they will allocate some engineers to fix this.

1 Like

This is the wishlist feature request and it only has 20 upvotes, we need to upvote this things clear into the stratosphere :rocket:

@Bernt @memetican @Albert_T @terry.yee.zy @Si_Maclennan

https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/WEBFLOW-I-6243

Edit: Terry I didn’t realize that you were the one that created the request lol! Either way, I hope people who find this page in the future continue to upvote.

3 Likes

Upvoted!

I stopped using Logic though, too much of a mess for us.

2 Likes

Just encountered this issue – so so frustrating – I followed this official Webflow University lesson “Add subscribers to Mailchimp with Webflow Logic”, working with my client, only to find that effectively it has broken a core functionality of the website.

Why doesn’t the lesson at least state the “Some Logic Flows require all your domains to be up-to-date and publishing to just a subset of domains will cause them to break” message I giant letters? So at least we’re warned before doing all the work.

Literally furious at how stupid this is, without us having even seen a single warning before it’s too late.

2 Likes