No way to create index page for page-folders [Not working for folders - 2020]

SEO - Organize your site hierarchy:

Do you have enough pages around a specific topic area that it would make sense to create a page describing these related pages (for example, root page → related topic listing → specific topic)? Do you have hundreds of different products that need to be classified under multiple category and subcategory pages?

The missing “index”:

For now, on webflow the “real” parent page of page-folders always missing

/company ===> Index for all childern pages about company

/company/index.html 
/company/team
/company/our-vision
/company/history
/company/why-us

The solution, for now, is to create a page with URL like /company-pagelist and put under this page links to “team” “our vision” “history” and “why-us” (But this is not the “real” parent of this pages - wrong sitemap tree).

Correct Example (No way to create this on webflow):
https://moz.com/products
https://moz.com/products/pro
https://moz.com/products/local

1 Like

@Siton_Systems

I was hoping this was now the case so I would not have to hack my structures. Not working for me. Ezra, can you confirm that it is working for you?

Hi. I test again you right (My mistake - webflow only change this idea for CMS slug).

CMS - working :+1:

By CMS - collection slug (blog)

Blog pagelist (Single page):

By folders - not working (No way to create index for folder) :-1:

This is a “huge” SEO issue by the way (Harder to create site with a clear hierarchy).
And get for example sitelinks:

Related:

Google Official guide:

Google also likes to have a sense of what role a page plays in the bigger picture of the site.

Do you have enough pages around a specific topic area that it would make sense to create a page describing these related pages (for example, root page → related topic listing → specific topic)? Do you have hundreds of different products that need to be classified under multiple category and subcategory pages?

Thanks for the update. This totally sucks and screws my ability to sculpt my page rank with silo structures. I can’t see a good reason they do this. Brings pain on many levels.

Another reason I avoid Webflow for content rich SEO sites.

1 Like

This is a bug maybe (Or not). I hope someone from the staff will answer.

Hi - I need exactly the same thing, please post if you find an answer or work around, I will do the same.

1 Like

I’m in need of this too!

1 Like

I see this as a reason to leave webflow all together. This is a very basic and core feature that is missing

3 Likes

+1 here. My folder structure is useless. I’m unable to design an index page for the folder root

[Solved] Can folders have "home" pages?

I found this solutions which works fine for me.

"Yes, but the “home” page must not be placed in the folder itself, because all the pages in the folder have their own folder prefix. Make sure your page is on the same level of the folder, then name the page slug the same as your folder slug. "

https://discourse.webflow.com/t/can-folders-have-home-pages/31478

All these years Webflow. What a ridiculous workaround.

1 Like

This workaround only works on webflow hosted pages. When you download the HTML to upload it on your own FTP, it doesn’t work anymore.

So you are either stuck with a questionable workaround, or you rename the pages yourself afterwards. (Given that you used external links in the navigation to accompany that)

This is such a little inconvenience, but it has a big impact. Same with missing or tags… i just had a client ask me to put trademarks in the page and i dislike the day for it.

1 Like

@webdev , Jeff - would you mind commenting futher on this?

This solution: Can folders have "home" pages? allows us to create the URL needed.

Do you think that having the would-be index file of the folder on the root level will prevent juice flowing to it from the silo?

Cheers, Dave

Just dropping a note, I think Jeff will have the same guidance here.

Google cares about url paths, canonicals, sitemap, localization link rels and standard links between pages in order to discern site structure. Plus, maybe JSON-LD breadcrumb metadata. It only cares about what it can see.

As long as the pages delivered follow that structure consistently;

/places
/places/uk
/places/uk/london

It will utilize that.

From the SEO structure and “juice” perspective, it doesn’t know or care if your pages are files sitting in a directory, or bytes served from a database, or dynamic data manufactured by code.

Very helpful thanks Michael :+1:

20-year SEO veteran here.

Unfortunately the workaround that @samliew shared isn’t SEO-friendly, at least not the examples he gave.

Take his first example. He creates a URL called samliew.com /snippets. This is fine, but it ends up 301 redirecting to a page called samliew.com /projects.

So while the “samliew.com /snippets” URL is indeed a valid one, the 301 is telling Google to ignore it, and to pass all of the link juice (via the permanent redirect) to a separate subdirectory called /projects, which I believe is opposite of the intent of this question.

Going back to the OP, has anyone found a workaround that allows you to host a page on /company root (i.e. /company/index.html)?

In Webflow you can create both a static page with the slug /company and a collection page with the slug /company, which means you can do-

• /company Directory page, all companies
  • /company/meta Specific collection item page example, as many as you want.

That’s simple and natively supported.

What you cannot do natively is cascading hierarchies that utilize CMS ref fields to build a semantic structure like;

/store/usa/illinois/chicago/northbrook

When that’s needed I build that for clients using a reverse proxy framework we’ve designed that handles the path rewriting, the redirect of the original collection page, and the canonical and sitemap corrections.

This is not true, you are quoting a very old post from 2016

I’ve since renamed both the index page and CMS collection to projects.

The index page method still can be achieved

I still have both an index page at /projects and individual CMS items starting with /projects/{slug}

Here are the new URLs since you mentioned them:

Samuel Liew - Projects (page without any folder, with slug “projects”)
Tic-Tac-Toe by samliew (page inside a folder “projects”)
Set Game by samliew (page inside a folder “projects”)

Screenshot in Webflow Designer

Screenshot_2024-01-26_170106