Multiple Domain Names and Google Verification

Google’s Search Console requires a separate entry for every domain name and domain-name version, for example,

SYGNAL.COM
WWW.SYGNAL.COM
SYGNAL.TECH
WWW.SYGNAL.TECH

The @ and WWW versions use the same Google Verification ID, so for the first domain name, I can use the SEO tab to enter that. However it only allows a single entry, and some of my clients have 40 or more domain names for one site [don’t ask]. Is the only way to add #2+ to paste the META tag into the HEAD directly?

Not at the moment. The workaround is to verify one at a time.

Please search the Wishlist for upcoming features, and if there isn’t one for your requested feature yet, you can create a wishlist request.

You can also subscribe to wishlist items to stay updated to announcements regarding the wishlist item.

Wishlist suggestions and discussions are off-topic for this forum, as we have a dedicated site for that. You can also ask such questions during occasional Webflow live Workshops where questions are taken from the users, and updates are provided on upcoming features.

If you do not like this policy, feel free to bring it up on Meta.

If you do not like the wishlist, feel free to provide Feedback.

Thanks Samilew- a few thoughts on this;

• As I understand it, Google re-verifies sites regularly, to verify that the same site is at the same domain, so verifying one-at a time will probably ultimately break when Google re-attempts this.

• A safer workaround, the one I used, might be to use the Custom Code HEAD and paste the full verification META tags. It’s not as pretty for designers, but it works well.

• I’m re-evaluating the merits of multiple domain names now, if there’s no longer any SEO benefit, we may abandon verification for multiple domains altogether, in which case verifying only a single Search Console domain is “best practice”.

If multiple domains still have significant SEO, I’ll add support for multiple domain verification to the Wishlist.

2 Likes