How much to charge?

I made a video discussion this very topic:

3 Likes

I repeat “cost depends on many factors”. But in a nutshell, custom website development costs can start at $8,750 and go up to $38,000 and over. If you need more information about cost estimation I recommend this website.

Although the original question is dated, this is still a hot topic in the freelance community.

As a freelancer myself, I find it invaluable to pass on advice & lessons I learned. The main point I learned was to pick one; fixed rate or hourly.

Fixed Rate:

Fixed-rate projects are usually for larger-scale websites that haven’t been 100% defined yet. With these projects, the client is paying for value and not time, unline an hourly rate. I find it’s easier to value fixed-rate projects as you can follow or make up your own pricing model.

This model can be based on a number of pages or features, and clients will usually ask for these figures beforehand. One thing you’ll need to be wary of is keeping these prices the same as time goes by, you want to keep increasing your rates.

For example, I’m a freelancer for Memberstack and we agreed on fixed-priced blogs. They’re always looking for more talent, so feel free to check out:

Memberstack & Webflow | Launch Fast, Scale to Millions

Hourly rate:

I usually don’t charge an hourly rate unless its small tweaks of ongoing work per month. Clients can sometimes ask for too much in one go, so having a fixed price is usually better.

However, if you’ve already finished the project, and the client is asking for minor, ongoing work - set an hourly price.

I hope this answers your question.