Give Visitors ability to disable Cookies

Hey guys,

some websites offer the ability to “Opt Out” of a Cookie.
I saw it on www.cookieconsent.com that you can build a Cookie Popup there
which gives the user the ability to accept or decline.

Do you understand how I can implement this on my site with so called “callback hooks”?

Really appreciate any help!
Thanks!
David

2 Likes

Yes. The DSVGO ( EU ) will knock at our door soon :slight_smile:

Hey man,

Don‘t panic. No guarantee for this information to be legally correct, but I talked with some establish website agencies in Germany and they all told me that:

1. Many business are are gaining money from making fear on the internet about the GDPR - it‘s a „grey area“ - you don‘t know what is right or what is wrong.
  2. You don‘t have to implement a cookie opt out or some stupid stuff like that because nonsense etc., you just have to inform the user that you are using cookies. Opt Outs are complicated code stuff and the big players like facebook (when you use the pixel) will give us the ability to build something for opt out, when it will be necessary
  3. Look at the websites of big german or european business like Deutsche Bank or Lufthansa to see what and how they are doing on their website, because they have (I‘m quite sure) the money to get legal consultation about what needs to be done on their website and what can be ignored.

Hope I could help to chill everyone out.
// David

1 Like

Would not trust now, what is on websites of big players, as they could change it exactly to this date of May 25th.

Here is some code for opt out, what I got right now, hope this will work.

<script type="text/javascript">
var gaProperty = 'UA-XXXXXXX-X';
var disableStr = 'ga-disable-' + gaProperty;
if (document.cookie.indexOf(disableStr + '=true') > -1) {
window[disableStr] = true;
}
function gaOptout() {
document.cookie = disableStr + '=true; expires=Thu, 31 Dec 2099 23:59:59 UTC; path=/';
window[disableStr] = true;
}
</script>

Somehow I have only just seen this after spending the last two weeks looking for some code in order to enable Opt-Out / Opt-In for Cookie Consent!

How do we go about using the Opt-In code in Webflow? I have asked a few places but havent had a responce fully on adding it in

Has anybody had any luck with adding this in their site specifically?

Hey Monty,

opt-in is tricky, I had the same issue that I couldn’t find many solutions for that, even though it is required! I had a look at how some of the paid cookie banner solutions are doing it, and most of them actually prevent third party scripts from loading. Once accepted, they do load the scripts. You could do this by taking all scripts out of your static code and insert them dynamically once accepted.

When the user accepts/declines, you can set a cookie that remembers that choice, so next time you can directly insert the scripts.

Hi @andre9000

That does sound pretty baffling to alot of people I am sure lol
Is there not a simple way of implementing the code seen in the original post by @davidk77?

Link reattached: Disabling Cookies | Osano

This plugin only deals with geolocation and the banner itself. As far as I see, it does not offer any solutions for the actual task: Enabling and disabling cookies :slight_smile:

Cookie Consent by Insite does provide code for disabling cookies but I haven't been able to make it work yet on Webflow.

Link: https://cookieconsent.insites.com/documentation/disabling-cookies/

Also trying to find a simple solution for GDPR here. Wondering if there’s a way to show new visitors a banner, and if they approve it it won’t show again? That’s what I see everywhere online at least… Anyone found a solution to this on Webflow yet?

I’ve shared a script here, which allows to disable Google Analytics with cookie consent by Insites.