GDPR compliant simple contact form

Hi, can someone help me understand if there is anything I need to do to make my simple contact form GDPR compliant?

The form will simply collect a few inputs such as a dropdown with “what service are you interested in” and a general message field.

I will not collect people’s info for future marketing purposes—I just want to provide a way for the user to get in touch more easily.

I was planning to use the Webflow form functionality which stores every submission within my Webflow account, as well as sends me an email for each one.

Perhaps a simple unchecked box with this text is enough? “I consent to having this website store my submitted information so they can respond to my inquiry.”

Thanks so much…

Hilary

1 Like

Hey @hilary,

Yeah it’s not that big of a deal really. Mostly overseas there’s stringent laws but overall it’s about what you as company or organization do and how you handle customer data. Basically, if you don’t handle any of that, it’s just respectful and best practice to let the customer know your site collects cookies to operate. If the visitor doesn’t want cookies they click deny, which would need custom coding on your part.

However, since most web based applications use cookies to handle sessions, everybody is going to get some form of cookie. I mean that’s how the entire internet works anyway. So apps don’t have to repeat simple steps.

Just keeping with respect and good practice - you simply load a banner letting them know your site uses cookies to provide better experience and you don’t collect data.

That’s pretty much it. Nothing complicated. Unless you’re a medical practice, etc. Then you’re doing something completely different. Otherwise a simple notification is enough.

Just say what your form does.

-G.J.

I’m not sure that’s 100% true. Wouldn’t collecting a name/email count as personal data? So then you have the issue of this being stored on Webflow’s non-EU servers?

2 Likes