Duplicate // double slash URL’s - canonical link?

Hi people of Webflow,

I have found 3 topics with the same problem as me, but nobody ever got an answer.

The most interesting one is this one: Duplicate // double slash URL's
→ It also refers the two other topics talking about this same problem.

THE PROBLEM: my SEO agency tells me my site is producing duplicate content. Their analysis tool finds pages with the same cotent, the only difference being the url. The second url has double slash “//” instead of one.

For example, they tell me https://www.maisondurable.com/bilan-energetique refers to https://www.maisondurable.com//bilan-energetique - so same url, but with a double slash.

The agency tells me I have an issue with my canonical URL, but it is correctly set in Webflow settings I believe (see below).

In the post I mention above, @webdev says “For this to change Webflow would need to tweak its hosting.” - does anybody have more info on this?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

1 Like

Nothing has changed. Webflow allows strings after the base URL instead of throwing a 404 like it should.

Thanks for your answer.

Are you aware of an reponse the author of the previous post may have received from Support?

Hi,

I am having the same issue from my SEO company. Did you have any luck trying to fix it?
I tried setting up a redirect but it’s not working.

//(.*) → /%1

1 Like

I emailed the support team. They were able to fix my issue (I think! I have to ask the SEO company to rescan)
They told me to remove the trailing / from the end of the global canonical.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

1 Like

Hey there, Sori, thank you so much. I discovered exactly that problem from a report from ahrefs.com (free-level account, I might add). That helped me know what the problem was, and a search helped me find your answer. It was YOUR answer that took me to the canonical url configuration under Settings>SEO. Bravo, thank you-thank-you! :clap:

I found the answer to the double slashes // in the canonical tag.

Webflow automatically adds a slash to the end of your canonical URL so if you include a slash on the SEO settings page then you end up with a double slash. Simply remove the slash from your URL and it’s fixed!