Direct links to video backgrounds - vimeo the best option?

Hello everyone!

I´m looking to use video backgrounds for a looped video clip of around 10-20seconds. And I´m going to use 1 video clip in each CMS item. (by using a text field and then adding the direct video link URL)

Is it best to use a Vimeo Pro account to get access to the direct video links?? Or is there a free video hosting option to have direct links? (However, I´m guessing there is no free option!)

What is Amazon Web Services like? AWS. Do people use this with Webflow??

I don´t want to link to YouTube or have any player controls on the video.

I have tried using Webflow as the hosting and this works, but I struggle to get a high quality video under the 30Mb limit. Plus it seems to be a struggle sometimes playing the clip which seems a bit slow to get going/load.

Thank you for any advice!!

I’ve had phenomenal experiences with vimeo, quick playback, easy integration, a range of stream options.

In theory, AWS is no different in terms of the actual delivery of static MP4 files to a video element. You should get the same end performance.

Key differences to keep in mind;

• Vimeo pro has a monthly flat fee. S3 charges per GB, could be way cheaper, or way more expensive, depending on your traffic.
  • Vimeo generated multiple variations of the video files you upload automatically. You can then easily choose the one that works for you. S3 stores what you give it, so you’ll need to perfect your Handbrake settings to get the size/quality balance you want first.

Thanks for the swift reply!

Good points. Thank you.

I´m leaning towards Vimeo, but I guess I could try AWS first and test a few video files.

How do you decide which direct file is best?? Is there a way that most people use? Full HD 1080p, or maybe file size? Or the time/length of the video clip?

Obvioulsy I want the best quality, but don´t want my website to run load slow!

You just pick the one that you like best for that space. It’s a tradeoff between quality and file size, but mobile devices generally don’t autoplay video anyway unless they’re on Wifi.