Difference between element opacity and fill opacity

Maybe someone can help me figure out how to lower opacity to a container, such as a navbar in my example but leave opacity at 100% for other objects. I have targeted the object, which is the menu-link and left it at 100% but it is reducing in opacity just like the container. I am very puzzled by this. I’ve wrote in the forums several times with other examples but have never had anyone explain in a way that clicks.

Coming from a background in Muse, obviously this is a different way of working. I understand that styles “cascade” but like I said, I am puzzled as to why styling the link separately isn’t doing what I want.

Here is the link to the page I’m working on: http://lawfirm-theme.webflow.com/

here dude check this out cant be made simpler :smile:
https://webflow.com/website/opacitytest/edit
https://webflow.com/website/opacitytest

Your example is doing what mine was.

Trying to understand the problem…

is it… you have any container

• and the container has objects / elements like a text link or button ?

and… when you change the opacity of the container… it also changes the opacity of the element inside the container ?

If so… there are different way to handle this…

the way I like… is to add a 2nd container that sits on top of the target container.

Changing opacity of the “bottom” container will not affect the top container.

Add a public link so we can see what’s happening.

I made it public. I thought that just by publishing it people could preview it inside webflow.

ok… now we need the public link :slight_smile:

try again - am getting a 404 page not found error.

There’s a shared button in your dashboard for the project.

It’s 2 buttons to the left of the publish button.

Is this the link your looking for? https://webflow.com/website/lawfirm-theme
It gets a little confusing. lol.

Here’s anther link. I think this is what you were wanting: https://webflow.com/design/lawfirm-theme?preview=20f3bd331b8747832ad9bad7a16c771d

yes that’s it…

ok… so you want to change the opacity of the navbar ?

if not… what element then

are you trying to change the opacity of the gavel image ?

Yeah navbar. I want everything else to be 100%.
I did lower the image to 85% but that’s not the issue I’m having.

what specifically in the navbar do you want to change opacity ?

The background ? the Contact link ?

Right now - if you change the opacity of the navbar… the contact link also changes.

Yeah the background and I’ve trying to have it not effect the link. I’ve been trying figure this out since day one. I wish they’ve do a video tutorial.

My example is first your problem second the solution… look again :slight_smile:

ok… so you have a NavBar with Links in it.

When you change the opacity of the NavBar… it also changes the Opacity of the Links.

I only use the NavBar for Mobile devices.

For Non-Mobile… I create a Section and add links to it.

Plus… I don’t think you can change the back of the NavBar to be transparent.

So… that leans - with the NavBar - you cannot what you are trying to do.

Unless I’m missing something -----> switch to using a Section with Links instead instead.

On a Desktop… display the Fixed Position (Section) NavBar. Hide the Mobile NavBar.

On Mobile Devices… hide the Fixed Position (Section) NavBar. Show the Mobile NavBar.

I think theres a really simple answer if I am understanding correct. You can absolutely change the fill color of the navbar to be transparent without it affecting the links, do so in the fill color picker for the navbar, there is a transparency slider in that color picker, don’t use the transparency bar under effects :wink:

@Revolution can I ask why you don’t use the navbar widget on desktop - its just a section with links, basically a prebuilt section that will collapse to a mobile menu on mobile. Do you just end up having to structure things differently on mobile or? Just curious :blush:

1 Like

@GodlessGlen . @jaidenraleach is correct. I forgot about this option. I think this solves your issue.

Yes I understand… I’m a code level developer more so than a designer.

It’s basically a matter of preference… and control.

Specifically, for smart phones (and sometimes tablets) - I prefer to use the navbar.

For desktops (and sometimes tablets) I prefer to have a customized navbar.

1 Like

Ahh, I see. I’ll have to go inspect it fully. I did notice that you applied a pixel value to the height. That could become problematic if one box grows and the other doesn’t. I’ll look further into that. Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

the pixel value is just to keep it simple. measurements aside the implementation is them same :wink:

Thats it, thanks! I had tried that already but must have had the wrong item selected. Can you believe that something so simple gave me such a hassle? If the staff would have just answered me with this answer the first time I wrote about this, it would have saved me so much time. From what I can tell, there isn’t any tutorial going over this and this is a very common styling technique for web design.

2 Likes