CMS COllection List Settings Locked

Hey guys, so I’m trying to edit a CMS list on my site, but it won’t allow me to change which collection, it has a lock next to it?

whyisitlocked

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi @carbonracingsolution

You need to unbind everything from your dynamic fields in order to be able to change the linked collection list.

5 Likes

how do you unbind them @donaldsv?

1 Like

Use the reverse of binding. Select each element that is bound to a field in the collection and remove the binding, making the element just a standard element. When all your bindings are removed, the collection will be unlocked.

If you can’t locate all bindings, head over to the collection settings page. You can see them and remove them there as well.

13 Likes

thank you so much @webdev Jeff! Exactly what I needed, really appreciate your help! =)

The problem solved by paste the content to figma text box and copy back to webflow. All the formats will keep.

I’m learning. Can someone explain the point for locking that?

In my instance, I’m building a collection page that’s a hotel, and I have a grid that will contain the description and image collection for each room. I cut and paste that grid after it’s connecting to the “room 1” fields, thinking I can simply re-bind it to the “room 2” description and “room 2 image collection.”

No problem with the description, but the image collection is locked. That I don’t understand. So, if I cut and paste the grid parent element, I’m forced to disconnect the image, then the encapsulating list wrapper is unlocked, THEN select my room 2 image collection, the I go back to the image and connect it the same image collection. I don’t get it. Any logic behind this?

Hi everyone.

I’m having similar issues with my collection list. I followed the steps above - I removed the bindings from the “View Connections” button, it removed all of my formatting, and so I rebuilt the page. I added the collection item back and it automatically locks the list again. When I click on the images in the published site, it just takes me back to that same page, not to the links I connected. I’m sure I missed a very important step, and don’t know what it is.

What’s odd is the collection list was working just fine until recently, it just decided to stop working.

What does this mean when the collection item is locked? What I’m gathering is that it doesn’t properly link the collection item and the links don’t work on the published site. That’s all I’m understanding of it, and would appreciate some deeper understanding.

I’m a rookie when it comes to Webflow so if I’m not being clear, please let me know.

Here is my read-only: Webflow - Erin McMichael's Portfolio

Thanks for your help!

You can instantly and properly unbind everything using the amazing Finsweet chrome extension - check this out

I’m doing a similar process and unfortunately I’m getting stuck.

I had a CMS collection for Blog Posts. And I have a styled grid ready with this content.
Now I’m trying to recreate this same grid with a “What’s On” content.
I tried to copy this grid, unbind these items so I can change to the “Whats On” collection list.

However, once that’s done, I can’t see the option to bind these items with the “What’s On” Collection. It only gives me the option of selecting “Blog Posts”.

I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I’m not too sure what I’m missing… :frowning: