Client needs Admin access?

How would we give clients access to the Admin settings. For example, the SEO, Forms, Hosting / Redirects, etc. They want to update this without needing to contact me for small changes. Any ideas?

You have 2 options for this:
1 - Transferring the project to their Webflow account and they can take it from there.
2 - Set up a Team account and have a shared Admin environment with your client.

I guess it all comes down to balancing the cost vs functionality.

1 Like

Why is the team plan so expensive? I need to pay $84/m (1k/year) just to give a client Admin access? Why can’t I bill them for that? I should be able to change them from Editor to Admin directly in the site configuration.

Please just give me a Dropdown to give them Admin access in order to view specific panels. Ideally I could set visibility of each panel I want to allow other admins to view. So I could hide the hosting plan for example, but let them update the SEO, Forms, etc.

If I had 10 clients it would make sense to do a Team plan. I literally have 1 client and I don’t want to do the Team plan. I may lose this client because of this configuration. Not cool. Not helpful.

@waldo @PixelGeek

2 Likes

3rd option is to provide an annual a-la-cart service to the client.

That’s what I do.

Obviously that only works if the client prefers to run their business…

• instead of running their website(s).

For our clients

• We take care of everything. It doesn’t matter what they need.

We tailor our service to the needs of the client by providing client specific SLA’s.

So some clients have a 7 day SLA. Some have 2 day SLA’s… and we have every combination between.

For example… the 7 day SLA’s are completed within 7 days of the ticket being opened.

Our 2 day SLA clients are completed within 2 days of the ticket being opened.

Regardless of the SLA… and as well as being part of SLA…

• we always respond to tickets within 2 hours… during business hours.

(not counting the clients who “must make changes by themselves”…)
If your client doesn’t want You to make the updates… perhaps

• they just needed You just for the design ?

or maybe… they haven’t figured out what their “real job” is yet…

• which is running their business.

Not their website.

I’ve come across this type of customer as well.

I don’t have that type of client though…

• because my clients know what their job is…
  • and expect that I do my job.
2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, this is a tech team and they want some ownership over the website updates. With that being said, it’s a strange situation that I’ve run into before. (this isn’t the first time)

I’ve worked on client sites before and I never really know how to end them… considering it’s mostly done, but always will need small tweaks, edits, etc.

In the past, I’ve just give the site over to the engineers and they take it in house. But I wonder, what sort of companies are taking their Websites in house vs keeping them with an agency? I don’t truly understand this and would love for some resources (from Webflow or online) that could help shed some light on how to handle this final hand off/maintenance work.

A challenge that I’ve found is that it seems difficult to justify the cost for “Website maintenance” alone, and it appears that some consultants are packaging other marketing services to create enough value for a monthly retainer. With that being said, what marketing would someone honestly need that already has a marketing or content team and is doing that in house? Does SEO Optimization justify a 1-3k retainer?

Any ideas? @PixelGeek

My wife runs her 2-person agency on Webflow. I’ve seen her go through this same situation.

She’ll either have clients:

• too scared to use Webflow and stay on their own platform (usually Wordpress)
  • loves Webflow and lets her keep the site on her account while giving them CMS access
  • loves Webflow but would rather keep the project on their own account

My suggestion to you is if the client wants to create their own Webflow account and wants the finished project transferred to it, then do it. If they break their site design or need additional help, just create a new contract to help them fix it.

Just be flexible and do as best of a job as you can for your clients and they will always come back to you or refer you to their friends. :slight_smile:

good luck out there

2 Likes

Another idea is to consider “Landing Pages” as a potential add-on. For example, the marketing service could be “Website maintenance + X number of Landing Pages (Campaigns)” per month that hook into their content/marketing team’s funnel. So that way I can keep them under my Webflow account, bill them every month for a 1-2k and help them develop on-going Landing Pages for their marketing campaigns. On top of that, you could deliver a monthly analytics report that shows the Page Views, Form Conversions, etc.

Simple.

Typically campaigns aren’t going to run out… because people are always marketing. If they ever decide to cancel the service, then I can transfer complete ownership and they can take it in house completely. Unfortunately that would kill the hosting fee, but it would also kill the client relationship completely so I don’t have to think about their website at all. Not in my dashboard. Not really a client anymore.

In general, I really wonder the Customer Avatar for a “Client”… Are they teams that don’t have the resource to pull it off in house? Anyone know enough about their clients to ideate on this?

We do landing pages as well.

Landing pages and websites are not really the same thing.

Just because someone knows how to develop a website
doesn’t mean they understand the methodology behind a landing page.

2 Likes

@cjroe you’re right, this is ridiculous. In this situation I’m actually the client and need to give the folks who developed the site admin access to fix something. Editing user permissions should not be a feature you have to pay for.