Can't log in to Editor

I’ve tried to log in from the dashboard and from the Designer page. I also cleared my cache and cookies. No matter what I do, this shows up: https://cdn.zapier.com/storage/photos/98865826f3dd2642c8b8d8fc98c78039.png

This is the issue that I’m having, but the resolution doesn’t work for me.

Hi @KingNisha Thanks for posting this, this definitely sounds like odd behavior.

What sites are you seeing this issue occur in? When did it start occurring? Can you send me the site Read-Only links please?

Please send me screenshots of the behavior you’re describing.

Can you please try the following:
(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help
(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: Chrome DevTools - Chrome Developers

Could you please let me know what browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page?

There should be a small share link when you visit the page which you can send to me.

Thanks in advance!

I have a client experiencing a similar issue, he can login to the editor using Microsoft Edge, but Webflow doesn’t recognize him as a user when he tries to login through Firefox or Chrome. Unfortunately Edge gives him different problems, he doesn’t get the rich text editor’s formatting tool bar.

Is there a guide somewhere to indicate what security / cookie settings he should check for Chrome?

Separately from my client’s login issue, I’m having the same problem as KingNisha had - however for me it’s intermittent, so I suspect it’s not related to my Chrome settings (?)

I am unable to login directly to the editor view using ?edit and the Editor login. That appears to be by design. But if I invoke the Editor from the Dashboard or Design mode, I’m sometimes asked to login as an Editor, and other times the Editor is invoked successfully.

My best guess is the way you have cookie expiration set for the authentication tokens. If the Editor-mode authentication tokens expire sooner than the Designer-model authentication tokens, then it can happen that I’m successfully working in the Designer, but the Editor has terminated my authentication.

I’ve notice that if I re-publish the site from the Designer, and then try to invoke the Editor, the Editor’s authentication tokens seem to be re-generated and I’m usually allowed in.

Unfortunately, that’s often not an option - I can’t always re-publish a full site when small corrections are needed.

It’s also lot of steps to go through to fix a typo.

Is there a workaround to the Administrator login-as-Editor problem? What I’m finding is that when I want to work on content, Editor mode is often the most practical way to do that.

Currently if I’m looking at a published website, and see something I want to change, I have to-

1. Go to Webflow.com
  2. Click Dashboard
  3. Login
  4. Find the right website in the Projects list
  5. Click the drop down menu to access the Editor mode
  6. Wait for the homepage to load in Editor mode
  7. Then navigate my way to the page I was just looking at
  8. Make the correction
  9. And publish

It feels like the Administrators-can’t-login-as-Editors restriction handicaps a lot of the advantage that the Webflow Editor gives.

1 Like

Hi I experienced an issue with login sometime ago using Chrome. I’m not sure, but this post may help you:

Thanks Phoxic, I’ve checked Chrome’s cookie settings, and my install is allowing 3rd party cookies. I’ll have a look at my console and try disabling extensions to see if something is interfering. Since it’s intermittent, I need to wait for the failures to happen again.

For my client, I’m putting together a video now to walk them through the Chrome settings, will report back what they find.

I have this issue too. I’ve cleared the cache, used a different browser a different computer and I’m always sent back thru the same loop.

1. If i login to the www.url.com/?edit

then I get the error: Because you’re a site admin, you’ll need to login to the editor here.

1. Which takes me to dashboard view of the specific site, when i click the editor button I am thrown back in to step 1.
1 Like

Hello, @alinea!!

So sorry to hear that you’re having issues with the Editor, but I’m happy to help!

Which project are you specifically having issues with? Can you share your read-only link with me so I can jump in and investigate?

Also, can you please test the following on your end:

(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help

(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: How to get console

(3) Could you please let me know what browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

I’ll be standing by so I can help you solve this problem!

Hey Riley and Alinea and others,

Maybe I have a solutions for you.

I know this is an old tread, but I was still having these issues (always being in the loop Alinea is describing) and was about to respond with a bunch of screenshots from my console…

Then I had the bright idea to turn off my two privacy/add blockers: I have the chrome extensions Adblock Plus and Privacy Badger activated.

When I disabled them for the domain that the website is on (where you want to enter the Editor), It works. I also have these privacy extensions activated in my incognito mode… so thats why it took me a long time to figure it out.

(Maybe not a bad idea to mention adblockers in the error message?)
Hope this helps people with the same issue!

2 Likes

totally agree… the Editor is buggy, and the whole “Admins can’t login as Editors” is very annoying. Makes training difficult.

3 Likes