Browser history back script in button link setting no longer work?

I have used the “browser history back” trick that use a script in the button link settings that I originally found it here on several sites.

I never got the history.go()-1 script to work as described in the post, but javascript:window.history.go(-1); seemed to work fine. Now it has stopped working. In Chrome it sends me to an ‘about:blank’ page, in Firefox the button just dont work. I have checked that the ‘http://’ is not automatically added to the link.

Just me?

Can you try to add a ‘#’ character as the link destination instead of leaving it empty?

That didn’t fix the issue for me. Same issue as @Christoffer

That’s related to a more general target blank issue that webflow’s team just pushed a fix for.
I guess the javascript back is next in their fix list :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. The Webflow team always seems to do a great job at resolve things quickly. Just wanted to make them aware of the issue.

Hi @Christoffer & @Jason_Green,

Yes, this may be a separate issue than the previous empty link one.

Would you be able to provide your Read-Only link for the affected project?

I’d be happy to take a look, and pass it on to our engineers.

I swapped the back button javascript in the “purchase tickets” workflow with direct links as a fix for now.

Read-Only Link:
https://preview.webflow.com/preview/avengers-station?utm_source=avengers-station&preview=3dbe6ae031e15466c629aff2c695a6ee

www.avengersstation.co.uk

Hi @Jason_Green,

I was able to create a clone of your project, and reproduce what you are experiencing.

Thanks for letting me know.

I have gone ahead and let our engineers know about the back-tick no longer working, and I’ll be able to provide an update as soon as one is available.

Yes, the best workaround at the moment is to use direct links.

3 Likes

Video embed in Rich Text is now gone…

APkpgMUu6iQS0VSznBBF6HcmqynRxQ-RdpFPlY5Wp_04iyee4k4DmYtd shS-T3JXbp6WvbisMdDzlDwZ1N9nml_5i0vXGsIasory2GEX_D51mFj9 1jpzyw-O3n5hO321cx_EQRGqimYE2mAcZnHbKd0Ulf-hEpFB_xpFszCi SFKQZzD8otVw0ji_OaHovXnG9X-BuAHgY0tx_R6MDOqidhyVchMPFiU- eB2Y_JRxjI_gbH3jgMIVlISeNuekcdrSjjLD9KeHXR9OPQB_02cys1OT PV1MJmcWxqOE0VMXE-HIwak4PKJsAYQPMdWI9VSbgyHT1_ZvG_yMoesJ Tg5TSPb6NBqVj75zKj5OOJQYKWVYTLaKi3568gQiDjCobP-JedB1u_ad USFyJILe_q3Xj58cdRuueNmFimL34ASWx7xcV5Yw9rsGekvMiMRDW1dq rz4i4hzP2VHR7DS7SgwN3BgO2DadTzxR9S3nwuMhAffPkuftHN3iQqFh sr2qrzJHZpGpHZBif63pfaSyg-2KMmCQOieUJ7ivSdKoFA5BXGG_624_ 0l8J-625SdI7Wk0puMH_B1UpfzQmag7GiIM30Q8iEwHsT-gjgWnj_8ar NhxXmYbmbD5nNluagyqb7PFUTQfbmQ1Gw6QKYFdEIO76v-ei90LqRPNT i6p3K01mQnlTqJeQuqmW0YpOtHLfBziT9aolvAiesSl-dvOQpol4UDc0 Raf9V9Ehbz4gJ-DTikyS_s3e9RXMRyR9oPZlGgGoiIMh9I4Cjxa7IQrY i90MK8L0BvpR48gsAC0OUCBguxv1h0Wi65NvVHNbEMPuo36EYeO162N5 qhRyyqOyQB8zaEt5G_DUaxJpLEAt_X3cVHhjYdlq7ZRCCcCKDPBIQIPU 0thsxz4Xepx1kum193U7NlAddKemcQqEXKNbzNkF7jLpQkfiGYM2Qnru w9zRp5W17aG_n2FIAhOgJf-ouOOxMwTeQKIzJ6XY9oms8mkvKpSWhJeN 5qu9cPEz2oL9bMzOgmBhUzQNWtJrrL02fguEJesC5hngxDUqkY_mDeiQ DllgdmxGort_4CcNyDyK2lwkdYCudRUoFdVD8lc1BLaL5Z3GLUMf2Wy5 Y7cDay47MirHQLCMRbPOg92L5CN0FRm85OGpKOPMvtbSVqLt0KWBHq8V s45O5fatqDHaRsr2Hux0-CP43hWUgQiDmcGF0xONb8Cjwwsq-i5zJAG- DhRE35hbHsO9yPJEXFtPpTavzu2-Y9aRqy5SLyzz1n_sdvuugDEYh__q xFihg5f3X3SDqsMizQ4CNuwWeN9b9zv04UUlNQ7zSNLG9Xv0Z9si8xJ8 aGIyP8MLEZs88M7YfBQsIbGGI-7v418U4zSRWs6TH5f1r71E2rrqdqC4 hJp56kyGL60FZnYkUJ6oiHGi67_OMZRqYtIZ0hJ55sYIGbJJwjnIs0qC kiOkd4FHfoGq1H7WhmKB7o6rdl08UNu6I86AlZytbvG2kTTiAsBt6CwQ LZRb7CPZ3pvyjDZY9j_knslYIfoq0VS2dgMMQK8f1Q-LI1gNf9hmFCFi Hafk1MCmAgB2hv9pck-RycE0BK-nHN-oSvrp8zO5nzDbaUbd6Ami39Aq omBVX3CHk8JdeoPncOjfvUTfz6CifjZLd1L67w3i184CX0jHjhVwPOwo nXm9YutPR8oVnLNEBUSXK1rsHm8cp7c8Xy4aDFoX0fmiJChH_SNHy3vY S3gHsnej0yNsN4H5whG4aIMtuZ5S9HaY7nLiMoO7nZp9wQ-6qxt50lx9 u168egO8OOuTGBs2r9cqV1WdU8fSr0RCsVMSQHrIqi0ZltdqnS-sELv 3bDEcFfAM442VXFT-k4oy0f9N-hdc0F5bpIAWUgfciY-XlWJZK6OqHCS sTyYpLONXfRy4HdFT3Rm1xWFqCfHrzrFGZ8Y7T8MuvNh90aYPP3crOpJ pQBe86z1blcMA57I_dh3c3JFuOOYZ5aSmzmQPDuyb8yqFqOTje6n4XQD 3bCFOVQSphNSv5FDrfzJorfyjGH1fvUnuSVOln_kEDWhQWmTK8lamh8f OrTkffFBO2HzsSC4wpP45YrsMToNnK_CFkDwyOAHS258YF8GEWWKu9Lp qEdjlphywZU-HqUpxKUtsKcJYGPULup6KkLObSruZqbvUXNDqEW7_o1m KjvvVUmOINuJRPU_g4g3DlsYcbc_l5fqn5q6Y24R_qdLike2ir125qYd HijjLkj5pGW61fO64EIVkpsjQs2nfleYsp_hRFuweBN1W06JMSJhd73 wr7q0L_IZ_LKGjmRzI8CvMAcuIadVeKsmBayITM2CT-MBICIJmUYp5hp tDLKLQpj_vs3aWJocDKraRQXTwcup44I1MVK8EtJXDC3

Hi @mistercreate

I had to find a solution immediately yesterday so I ended up using an embed element as a back button, for some reason that worked fine.

/* Embed element */
<button onclick="goBack()" class="BUTTON CLASS NAME"></button>

/* In Costom code */
<script>
function goBack() {
    window.history.back();
}
</script>

Also, I had a different bug yesterday where ‘div link’ elements inside collection lists stopped working (nothing happened when pressing the element). The ‘link div’ was connected to a collection field with a dropbox link. When replacing the ‘link div’ element with a button element, all was back to normal. I dont know if its related, just mentioning it since my back button bug in this post was in a collection template page… as in; collections was involved in both my bugs yesterday.

1 Like

Hi @mistercreate Any updates on this javascript back issue ?
Do we need to find a permanent workaround ?

@pepperclip no updates yet. If you are under a time crunch it may be good to implement a workaround like @Christoffer did.

Thanks for your patience!

ok thanks for the info !

1 Like

@Christoffer @donaldsv @Jason_Green @pepperclip

Just a quick update — a fix for this issue is currently going through QA. We should have the fix deployed soon.

I’ll continue to keep you all updated as we make progress!

2 Likes

Hi @Christoffer @donaldsv @Jason_Green @pepperclip

The fix for this should be deployed today everyone :tada:

If you are still unable to use the “`” to remove the https:// from the link field by tomorrow morning, please let me know and we can investigate this further.

Thanks again for your help and patience on this.

1 Like

Hi @Brando ,

The problem is not being able to add ` to remove the http://
Its more that, as of this week, writing javascript:history.back() in the link is useless because it now triggers a target blank rather than going back…

The idea was to use the webflow link element to do this :

<a href="javascript:history.back()">Go Back</a>

Hi and thank you in advance :slight_smile:

http://javascript:history.back(); is no longer working when pasted in the link url field (see screenshot below)

20%20AM

Click on any of the work on Work | Design and Development Work in Raleigh-Durham and then try the close button “X”… it takes one a blank page screen.

A “back” method is the best way for this interaction since we also have thumbs on the homepage that one can go to, so it would not be taking one back to the same place every time.

• I understand that this is not technically a bug since it is “custom code,” but it was working just fine and now it’s not. Also, listing something as a bug seems to be only way to get a quick response on the forums these days.

A workable alternative that sends one back to where they came from would be great and essential!

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/flowglobe?utm_source=flowglobe&preview=a78b85db5b213b8d77fda00db8d59ed4

Best,

Nathan

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Check this thread Browser history back script in button link setting no longer work? - #18 by pepperclip

Exactly!

Best,

Nathan

Agreed!

Best,

Nathan